Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1
AMG

Hi all, I have the new canon i860 and to match what I see on screen, I print with the following settings. I choose the profiles printer under the advanced options instead of same as source and I also turn off the auto color adjustment in the printer, but surprisingly the picture doesn't match at all. In fact, the print matches muchmore closely when I leave color adjustent on auto, and I use same as source, but it doesn't make sense. I should also mention that when I chose the profile for the printer, I am not sure which to use, there are many, some saying mp1, mp2, etc.. Does anyone know what these are ? Any help is appreciated. And I am using canon paper and canon ink.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

I just went through this exercise with my 860 and since I don't have calibration equipment I elected to go the simple route. First of all, my monitor has a setting that allows it to use the sRGB color space so that is what I set the monitor. My thinking was that from what I've read the camera and monitor are now in the same color space. Then I downloaded a trail version of qimage from ddisoftware and used their soft proof feature to check out what the print would 'look like' given my color settings. I ended up using sRGB adobe 1998 for the monitor. For the printer I'm using the generic profiles that came with the printer, and from what I can find from reading, the pr1-pr2 is for pro paper, sp2 for gloss paper, and the mp2 is for matte paper. The numbers seem tocorrespond tothe quality setting under print quality in the driver settings. I made sure the enable icm box is unchecked and the print type is set to 'none' below the icm box in the custom color settings. I'm a real beginner in this area so I'm sure I've broken several rules setting things up this way but it turns out prints that are so close to what I see on the screen I can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:22 PM   #3
AMG

thx, I think maybe it was the paper media within the profile like you said pr1 pr2, or whatever, but if it is that, I would be surprised, because it's already specified in the dialog box which paper I intend to use so I don't know. I'll do some tests for each I guess. I know I'm doing everything else right, so hopefully , you nailed it.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote