Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1

HP is readying the release of the 8100 and 8400 series photosmarts. Word on the street is 4000+ nozzles, large capacity ink tanks (not individual yet, but supposedly real big at current prices so they will be cheaper for most people than individuals) and all are 8 colors.

Can anyone dig up more info? HP has placeholders for them on the web site but I haven't found much more info.

Brian
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:03 PM   #2

Where did you get your word on the street?

If this was new Canon stuff, or Epson, I'd be excited. But HP jumped the shark about two years ago.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:47 PM   #3

Well part from CNet singapore on their English web site.

Also from various HP employees (I live in Oregon and I've got 2 major hp offices just 30 mins north and south of me.

Thirdly, as a i960 owner, the 7960 maybe be slightly more to operate but I actually think the HP prints look better in most cases and they do offer far, far better longevity than any other dye based. They also just dropped the price to $230 so again it is more competitive. Not to mention I do a fair amount of B&W workso again the HP takes the cake.

What turned you off from these models?
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 6:47 PM   #4

Just a personal opinion, but I am sure a lot of folks share some of them.

1) Cost of operation. Small tanks, pricey, not individual. HP carts are way overpriced for the amount of ink they do not have in them. Their paper is also an outrage.

2) I have printed out exact images on the 7960 and the i960. Both on respective paper types. The Canon model wins everytime. Not only to my eye, but everyone I have showed them too. The HP seemed not as sharp/detailed and not as color accurate.

3) No Pictbridge support (minor gripe)

4) Current issue: Star wheel/track mark issue with Photosmarts.

We'll have to see what the new units are.. but then, I know Canon is also releasing new units in the next month or so. So a bunch of new products coming out we get to contrast and compare!
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote