Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:17 AM   #1

I had a Canon i860 that I was using for photo printing. Using Kodak ColorLast Ultima 4 x 6 paper I was getting speed of about 57 seconds per picture. Pretty mush just what Steve had seen. Well my wife has been whining about how long it takes to print on her HP930 (that printer has been a MAJOR disappointment, it is soooo slow), so I gave her the i860 (Wow!! what a difference when she prints out a web page) and bought myself a Canon i960, figured I'd get even faster photo prints and still have the advantage of having two printers with the same ink.

BUT, the i960, using the same Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software and the default settings, same computer, etc, etc, is taking about 63 seconds to print that same 4 x 6 picture!! WTF! I thought the i960 would be faster for 4 x 6's . Can anyone give me a clue what might be wrong? Should I take this thing back and gat another i860?

Admittedly I still have to compare the prints against those from the i860 (and probably reprint some of the one's I already printed on the i860) to see if these is any kind of noticable difference, but at this point I'm not as impressed as I hoped I would be.
Samting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2

The i860 has 1800ish nozzles and the i960 has over 3000 nozzles. The i960 shoudl be faster. But when I print off both units, I notice the i860 prints faster on 4x6s. Unoless, for some reason, the software (Easy Photo Print) prints default on the i860 and high on the i960.

But even if the i960 is, what, 15 seconds slower? It will produce a higher end print than the i860.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:34 PM   #3

According to Steve's review, he was seeing 37 seconds for a 4 x 6. Did they change something? He was using Windows XP and I am using Windows 2000. I did download and apply the latest drivers.

Also, Mayhem, you said you had printed photo's on both units. Can you see the difference on 4 x 6's? What types of photos are most likely to show the benefits of the i960?

Thanks!
Samting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 7:58 PM   #4

To start off, the i860 is one hell of a unit. It will satisfy most photographic enthusiasts with its output.

I would say that mostly, from what I have seen, people/face images will show off the difference between these two printers easier than other images. The i960 will show a greater color/gradational range than the i860. Although, I have about 1 in 5 people that prefer the i860 image, as it seems more neutral and not as warm, in some shots, as the i960.

Both are great printers. As I have said before on this board, it depends what your needs are. Lots of text and photos? Go i860. Primarily photos, minimal text? Go i960.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote