Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 14, 2002, 2:39 PM   #1

Default Epson 785 EPX photo printer (TRASH)

Dispite the great reviews Epson stylus photo 785 EPX printer gets , Im finding it to be trash and not worth my times any more.
I have had this printer for two months and if all you want to print is photos of nice bright nature scenes it's great. But, if you want to print photos of family or people in general, flesh tones come out reddish , and any dark detail comes out grainy .
I have spent a lot of time and money with epson tech support listening to the same solutions and how this printer is so wonderful over and over again.
They can't figure out the problem so all they can suggest is to replace it with another of the same. So fine, after it comes I'm going to sell it for what ever I can get and buy another brand.
That's my question:
Can someone help lead me in the direction of another photo printer besides Epson?
Thanks very much,
jrsboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 2:46 PM   #2

canon 900 or 9000

the family shots are they outdoor in that same sunlight as the nature shots and the grainy dark areas too?

what camera are you using?

these shots look normal on your computer screen?

could you post one(computer image) in 640x480 size?

settings?

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 5:39 AM   #3
NHL

jrsboone

I have the same printer (as well as the 1270). Go to custom and advance and save you own profile.

Printouts from one printer (my HP PhotoSmart) is always different from another (my Canon or Epson). I know getting the right profile waste a lot of ink, but the result is outstanding once you get it right... I still think that the HP Photosmart line is the cheapest to operate (Costco's ink prices), but it's only 3-colors so unless you are a critical nerd type it should suit you fine as well.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:28 PM   #4

NHL, I have tried your suggestion only using a ton of ink and paper. If I correct the color for one photo and save my settings it,s not good for the next. I've had it on this printer.
Thanks,
Old Sep 15, 2002, 2:21 PM   #5
NHL

Try the HP Photosmart then @ $48 per high capacity cartridge and $20 for 100s 8x10 (all Costco) that's about 60-70 cent per 8x10, and this printer even do double side. It just won't print bordeless like the Canon or Epson and for 3-colors the HP layering works pretty good unless you look under a microscope!

BTW HP just come out with a new series which I know nothing about!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:44 PM   #6

Or you can always grab the card and goto wally world or supermarket photo department and let them do it on the spot. do not have to pay for bad ones.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 3:44 PM   #7

Hey im new here. I was looking into buying the 785EPX..But might reconsider hearing what u guys say.

NHL..Can u pls tellme the settings u have the 785 set at. I wanna try it at ur setting on my friends 785epx.
Thanks
HSKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:24 PM   #8

Default epson 785 epx

I see that your considering an Epson, the choice is yours of course,but I sold my epson 785 epx for $75.00 and bought a Canon 900, I'm much happier now!
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:59 AM   #9

Default Which Printer

Hp has the HP 5550 and the HP 7000 series printers that print great pics of family and nature scenes. Both have photo cartridge that will replace the black cartridge to give you six color printing. You can also use them for normal printing by removing the photo cartridge and reinserting the black. The main difference I see between the printers is the HP7000 you can down load the pics directly to the printer. I decided to say the $30 difference and purchased the HP5550.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 1:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by jrsboone
I see that your considering an Epson, the choice is yours of course,but I sold my epson 785 epx for $75.00 and bought a Canon 900, I'm much happier now!
U gotta be kiddin. The S900 is way outta my budget. Any other printer for half the price u recommend??
HSKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote