Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 27, 2004, 7:50 PM   #1

Hello,
I have several questions about whether I should choose an HP photo printer or the Canon i960. I see alot more discussion about the i960's problemes compared to HP... but anyways

1) How long does the HP ink last compared to Canon's? I know the canon has several cartriges while HP only has one, and many people say "oh it doesn't matter in the long run." Which one will I be replacing less?

2) With borderless prints, I've heard it gets extra ink all over the insides of the printers and seen it at the local Staples. How much damage is caused and which printer wastes more ink doing borderless?

3) I want these pictures to last. Is HP really the best for making photos that will be around in years to come? I know HP usually likes only HP paper, buts no problem.

4) I've also heard the printer heads on the Canon are not replacable while the HP ones are in each Ink cartrige. This true?

All the prints will be coming from a PC.
Thanks in advance!
BLueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:42 AM   #2

Well you didn't mention which HP you were comparing but you can check out a lot of the questions in Steve's reviews.

1) HP has multiple cartridges but each holds 1 to 3 colors. The best HP uses three multiple cartriges.

Ink lasting depends a lot on the type of printing you do. If you mix text and photos you need to swap out the black and multiblack cart with the HP this will cause a cleaning cycle. Because each tank is pretty small and pricy. I believe the cost per page(ink only) for the HP is about 2xthe cost for a Canon or Epson.

2) Never had a problem they do a good job in the Canon/Epson to minimize overspray.

3) HP is in the middle of standard life tests. Better than Canon, less than Epson. If you want it to last the Kodak paper gives 99 year life with all printer types.

4) Canon has a head that is easily replacable (flip a lever and it pops out). It is pricy but I've never needed to replace it yet (this is my fourth Canon printer). Others have reported the Canon will do the replacement free.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:04 AM   #3

1) I had my i9100 for about a monthand had printed 5 13x19, [highlight= #ffff88]15[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]8[/highlight].[highlight= #88ff88]5x11[/highlight], and 50 4x6 full bleed prints before getting the notifications that my Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan are out. The i960 should do about the same. The problem with HP is that when one color ing the cartridge goes out, you throw out any ink that you do have left. you never use it all.

2) These printers have an an overspray pad that absorbs the ink, you it should not be an issue.

3) HP is in the middle. HP and Wilhelm Imaging state the HP7950 can last 73 years on their matte paper. HP paper is considered to be the most expensive paper. Keep in mind that any fade resistance claims are made on the manufactureres own brand paper and their ink. You skimp on cheap paper or 3rd part ink; you can bet your home that the images will not last as long. Now Kodak has reformulated their Ultima Paper and it seems to do really well from what I can tell.

4) Epson's print heads are not user replaceable. Canon's is; I think a print head is about $90, but I never had a problem in the two years I had my S800 or the year with my i9100. It is true with HP and Lexmark that changing the cartridge will also have fresh print heads as they are part of the cartridge.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:02 PM   #4

Unfortunately, the print head technology gets a bit muddled out there. But Cartridges with built on print heads can in no way compare to the technology you can build into separate print head systems that you see on the Canons. They have smaller droplets (2pl on Canons, 5pl & 16pl on HP)and far more nozzles making them incredibly fast.

The big key to remember is, the HP cartridges come with a new print head each time because that print head is slated to last only so many prints. The print heads you see on Canons and Epsons - being higher tech - are geared to last the life of the printer.

I also think you see more discussion about the i960 vs the HPs simply because the i960 is purchased by a lot more folks than any HP would be.

Something I always tend to also look at in terms of products, is to head on over to Amazon.com and hit their search for their top selling items. In this case, photo printers. Canons (i960, i860, i560, i900D, i9900) always occupy at least the first 4 spots if not the top 5, with maybe an HP or Epson that might sneak in there from time to time. I think that is a huge indicator of what the public is purchasing across the US.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...981845-7385754

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5

I switched from HP to the Canon i960 within the last 6 months. The Canon provides great print output at a speed that puts the HP to shame. I also like the six tanks of individual inks. I would go with the i960 over any of the HP printers.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:31 PM   #6

Thanks Everyone! Looks like I'm getting an HP, since the photos last longer... :-)

EDIT: Make that an Epson... not HP.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:48 PM   #7

I really do not understand why longevity is such a large issue. Even if the images last just a few years (lets say 5 or 10)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1) Everything should be archived on a CD or hard disk. The image can always be reprinted down the line if it fades. (Hopefully people are not thinking "logevity" so they can print an image, thinking it will last 100 years, just to discard the original digital image)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2) Technology keeps getting better and better. Like we are not going to be reprinting older images just a few years down the road because the new products will be even better than what is available now.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:13 PM   #8

I kinda see your point, but my mother has photo albums, and once the picture goes in, it usually doesn't come back out. She does not want to come back in 5 years, try to find the picture, and reprint it. She wants a picture that will go in the book, and last longer than she will.

Would I be reasonable in wanting an Epson then? Because I want them to last... and since the quality is comparable to labs, I see no reason to wait for newer/better printers. Am I wrong? Any advice?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 4:38 PM   #9

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...413465-9708835

According to THIS amazon page, Espon it up top for printers being sold... the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Inkjet Printer which is slightly better than the R800 if I remember correctly.. but please still answer the post above. Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2004, 10:07 PM   #10

The Epson 2200 and R800 both use pigment inks which last > 100 years under glass on Epson paper. Both have excellent print quality. The R800 is slightly better than the 2200 in image quality. I have an R800 and am very happy with the print quality. The only drawback is that it is not a wide carriage; the 2200 is.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote