Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:52 PM   #1

I just received my Epson R800 printer today and was very disappointed with the results. The prints were very muddy and lifeless. The same prints from my old HPphotoshop 1215 were much better. I didn't do any fancy adjustments but just printed using best photo quality. I'm using the same paper I used with my HP which is Epson glossy. Does any one have any advice?

Thanks

Don

don482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:22 PM   #2

What specifically is wrong with the printed output? What do you mean by "muddy and lifeless"? Too dark? Not enough contrast?

I have an R800 and the quality is the best I've seen of any inkjet printer. Did you set the color space and gamma to match your pictures? I find that for standard sRGB JPG files, gamma 2.2 with saturation +3 and brighness +6 looks beautiful and matches very well to my monitor which is set at 6500K.If you have that set properly. It looked great just using the proper gamma but setting the saturation & brightness just made it match the monitor more closely.l

I can only guess there's something wrong with the printer or its setup. My print results with the R800 are beyond photo quality, approaching fine art quality.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks for your imput. In the past my printing has consisted of simple editing such as cropping, using the auto enhance, and sometimes adjusting the brightness and contrast. How do you determine the proper settings such as the correct gamma etc.? I'm using the Nikon D70 with the kit lense and my epson prints were disappointing to me. My shots which were taken at a wedding mostly using flash looked sharp and contrasty on the monitor (apple 23inch cinema display) but mostly came out flat and lifeless.Since the wedding was formal there was a lot of black in these pictures (tuxedo, black dress). Your help is greatly appreciated. I am serioulsy thinking of returning it since I bought it at Amazon and getting either an HP or the Hi-ti dye transfer printer.
don482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:54 AM   #4

Before condemning the printer youshould make sure it's not a color matching issue. You need to find out what color space your pictures are using. If they are standard JPG files from the camera they are likely to be the sRGB color space which is gamma 2.2. The standard color space for macs is gamma 1.8. If you take pictures in RAW mode and develop your own JPG files then they will be in any color space you want.

On top of that you need to have the monitor adjusted correctly. Ideally, color temperature, contrast & brightness should all be set according to a spider or other color matching setup. Most monitors default settings have too much contrast and too high a color temperature for photo processing.

For starters, try this page for very basic monitor setup:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin....html#Gammabox
scroll down about 1/2 way and look at the test patches.

You mentioned a Mac monitor. I've read that the Epson profiles don't work well with Macs. I saw a link somewhere here in Steve's forums that mentioned using old Mac printer drivers to make Epson printers work better. Try SEARCH.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote