Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:38 AM   #1

I just got a digital camera, so of course I'm now shopping for a photo printer. I'm very impressed by the reviews of the Canon i960 (6 individual ink tanks). The price isn't bad, either.
But I noticed that Canon is now marketing the i990 in the UK, apparently a similar model but with 7 individual tanks (I believe it adds a red tank). Canon USA won't comment on whether or not (let alone when) this model might be introduced in this country. At first I thought my decision would be between getting a good photo printer now, or waiting until the i990 (or similar) was available here. Since Canon is offering a $30 rebate on the i960, I assume it will be replaced shortly.
My one problem with the Canon printers is that they only use dye-based inks. I'm very concerned with image longevity (if I mount a print in a scrapbook, I don't want to have to it out five years later because it has faded, even if I can print a new copy with no problem). As far as I can tell, pigment inks are the major way to increase longevity, and they only seem to be available for Epson printers.
The Epson R800 has gotten excellent reviews, but it costs twice as much as the i960. Are there any Epson models that use pigment inks that are more comparable in price? Any comments on the comparison?
Also, whichever printer I get won't be my main text printer; I'll continue to use what I've got for that. I'll only use the new printer for photos, and that probably won't be an everyday task; in fact, I figure I'll print photos maybe once or twice a month, at least at first. Do the pigment ink printheads clog if they're not used regularly? If so, how easy are they to unclog? Replacing a print head is really not a viable option for me.
I would appreciate any comments on the issues I've raised from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Thank you very much.
MacThespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links