Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:48 PM   #1

I'm looking at getting a new printer to go with my Digital Rebel. I am replacing an Epson Photo 820 and a Sony F717. I have been looking at the Canon i860 and i960 along with a few epsons. I am stationed overseas in Germany and see that they have a i865. From what I can tell, this printer adds the ability to print on CD's. Is that the only difference, and are the ink tanks the same as the 860? And since I have this thread going, will the output of the i865 be as good as the 960?

I know, lot's of questions. I would like to search through all of these posts, but being military, my time with family is precious.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
I know, lot's of questions. I would like to search through all of these posts, but being military, my time with family is precious.
OK play on the simpathy..

Yep the difference between the 860 and 865 is the CD printing. The price is usually quite a bit higher also in Europe. The 860 is running about $135 here.

Difference between the 86x and 96x ..

860 does has an extra, big black cartridge that allows it to print text faster and cheaper than the 960. This makes it a good all purpose printer.

960 has two extra colors (Photo Magenta, and Photo Cyan) than make the pictures pop out a little more than the 860 pictures.

The 860 is (apparently) being replaced with a new printer the iP4000. Same general specs but faster and can print two sided.

The 960 is (apparently) being replaced with the 990. Adds one more color to give it even more pop.It's also faster and higher resolution.It is unknown if the 990 will have a 995 version. The 990 was supposed to be out by now but has not been seen so it may be vaporware.

All print really nice, fast photos. The 960 photos look better but the 860 is cheaper per page to operate. Steve has detailed reviews on both.

The Canon line uses the same tank series for pretty much all the printers (except the real cheap line). So the 860 uses the same CYM and Black as the 960. The 860 has another biggerblack (5 tanks total)and the 960 has PM and PC tanks (6 tanks total).

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:51 PM   #3

If you are going to have only one printer and print much text the 860/865 is the better choice IMO. The big black tank is a pigmented black that does better text. It also does a lot more text on a tank. The i860 evidently gives the best photo quality of any of the general purpose printers and is faster. There are some you swap out cartridges on, but the pigmented black is small and it is a lot of hassle.

If you are primarily interested in photo output the 960 is the better choice.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:10 AM   #4

So, you caught the simpathy thing. Hey, whatever works I guess. :-)

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting the 860, much less expensive. The prints are very nice and seem to be lower priced than I thought they would be.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote