Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 11, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

I thought I knew how to color match ICM. First off, I'm *not* a color newbie, I'm somewhat savvy to this stuff. First off, my monitor was color balanced by a hardware dongle. It works great. Second, my flatbed scanner is calibrated with a Kodak IT8 target. So what I see on the screen is exactly what I scanned. The color profile of the picture is "Wide Gamut", that's the color profile the flatbed scanner embeds into the scan. Photoshop thinks it's "Wide Gamut" too, that it's set internal working color space. When I go to print on the Canon, the colors which are bright and very vibrant on the screen appear *very* muted. The color adjustment on the prop page is set to "auto". I tried setting it to "Manual", then enabling ICM, then turning off photo type, but the colors came out exactly the same!

On a hunch, I went back to photoshop and selected menu- Image - Mode - Convert to Profile, then selected "sRGB". the vibrant picture on the *screen* got less vibrant, but not nearly as much as the printouts. Then I reprinted, and the printout now matches the screen exactly.

What I am thinking here is that the canon interprets all incoming images as sRGB, regardless of their real colorspace (mine is "Wide Gamut"). Can anybody confirm/deny? Am I missing something important here?

thanks!
zipwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 4:20 PM   #2

More info: If I turn on "preview print" from the canon i9900's printer props page, the picture has already lost all it's vibrancy when you look the preview. Something is happening to the image even before canon sends it out to the paper, so it's not the way it lays the ink down...
Attached Images

zipwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

But what happens when you select BJColorSpace 2001 (or something to that effect) in the page setup for output profile?
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:00 AM   #4

Turn off and disbable all colour management in Photoshop. And try that. I findI get far better monitor to printer accuracy, I don't like Photoshop's colour management, you're better off without it! And if the colour's are still not what you want, tweak the printer properties settings. I find that choosing manual-photo works well in the colour settings as opposed to auto, and also there's a couple of options under effects that help which are mainly aimed at digital camera photos, but try those to.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote