Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1

Got the "out of ink" message on my magenta--in slot 6-- last night, but it definitely wasn't. The ink level check showed 3/4 full, as did a a visual check also. I stopped the job, and sent it again and it would print one page fine, then throw the ink out message again-- I'd stop the job and trick it again and it would spit out one more page. I also did a head cleaning once, and took the cartridge out and shook it for good mneasure.

I think it finally got through this hiccup and is printing OK now, but does anyone know what the printer was trying to tell me?
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2

The way it works is that a prism is used to detect the ink status:

Since this is a mass produced device it is possible the prism was misaligned, dinged, etc. When you change the cartridge it will probably fix the problem.

It is also possible some contaminant could be on the sensor so if it happens after you change the cart then you might want to clean the sensor area.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 3:46 PM   #3

Thanks, CastleDude.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:30 PM   #4

I'm bumping this back up because I found the following--- maybe someone else has experienced this;

I was getting the "Magenta" out of ink message, but finding that there was 3/4 of the Magenta left. So I kept dismissing the message and tried again-- and it worked. I kept getting the message and finally the prints began to look bad. So I cleaned the heads. I aligned. I tested. The prints wewre still bad, and i finally figured out it wasn't the Magenta that was out, it was the "Photo Magenta." That cartridge indication looked about 4/5 empty and there was an exclamation mark over it. So--

-- has anyone else experienced this? I'm positive the out of ink message said "Magenta" *not* Photo Magenta." Maybe the software doesn't distinguish between the two???

-- Have I ruined the printer by printing so much with the cartridge empty? (there still was some on the sponge)

BTW-- the model is i960, not i965 like the subject says.