Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:50 PM   #1

Just got a Canon i960 printer and am having problems with the color. I also have a BJC 6000 that I'm using for comparison. I printed the image grey.jpg that was in a post regarding a i960 with yellow hue. My problem seems to be a magenta hue on this image and every image I print. I compared the grey.jpg image on the monitor to the image from the BJC 6000 printer and they look pretty close. However, the image from the i960 looks a bit redish. I am using Canon Photo Pro paper with prrint quality set to 1 and ICM off. By the way, this is the second i960 printer that I have tried. Any suggestions?
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:47 AM   #2

You might want to try different printing software to see if it's a hardware or software problem. Isuggest downloading the trial version of Qimage (www.ddisoftware.com) and giving it a try. I had a similar problem with my i560. Once I used Qimage instead of the bundled printing software, my prints looked very good. Ifnothing else,thiswill help show you where the problem is.

Beyond that you could try a profiling tool, if you have the stomach for it. Very useful, but a little tedious.

By the way, did your previous i960 show the same problem?
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:17 PM   #3

The previous i960 produced the same results. I have also printed the images with the trial version of Qimage.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:31 AM   #4

Aside from going through all of your driver settings to make sure you don't have something set (Vivid photo, or some other setting that could be messing with your color), I would say your next options are (And don't take any of this as expert advice. I simply hada similar problem and have gone through some of these steps already with some success.):

1) To mess with the Manual Color settings in the print driver.I increased the Cyan and dropped the magenta and yellow to clear up some of my red-tint problem. This works, but I never quite found that perfect combination.

2) Profile your printer. I eventually picked up Profile Prism and am playing with profiles for different types of papers. This isn't for everyone, but I'm pretty happy with the results, so far. You can also haveit profiled bysome professional profile company. I think that runs roughly 35 - 40 dollars (US) per profile. Or

3)Redriver.com apparently has a profile to go with the i960 and their paper. I've never tried this, nor could I since I have the lower end model i560. But I've seen a number of posts in some of the other threads saying that Redriver paper is pretty good with Canon printers and they let you download the i960 profile for free. May be worth a shot.

I hope some of this is useful. Good Luck.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:31 PM   #5

Tried the redriver profiles (using canon and epson paper) with no improvement.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:35 PM   #6

In Qimage, have you tried different input profiles? At one point I had the input profile set to Adobe. I changed it to sRGB and that changed my prints significantly. Might be worth trying a couple different ones.

As for the Redriver profile, profiles are paper brand and type specific, although it's a bit strange that you're getting the same results even with the profile installed. It should be different in at least some respect. When using the profile, did you make sure to set the color adjustment in the print driver to manual? Otherwise the driver's auto adjustment would take over anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:16 AM   #7

Here's another thread with a couple more options.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=56