Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:17 PM   #91

Mike (and Okmilo),

Some other things to consider in your printer selection.

The Canon i960 has two USB ports. One is USB1 and the other is USB2. I tested it and I can print to the i960 from two different PCs. I have 2 PCs so the i960 will work great for me.The USB1 port can work with PCs with USB2 since USB2 is backward compatible.

The ip4000 has a USB2 and a serial port if that is what you need. I don't know know whether the ip5000 has a second port aside from USB2.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:48 AM   #92

The ip5000 only has USB, unlike the ip4000 that has Parallel as well. One in the back for computer interfacing, one Pictbridge compatible in the front for cameras.
snow veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:51 PM   #93

The Canon brochure says that borderless printing is:
Quote:
Available using Photo Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus Glossy, Photo Paper Plus Double Sided, Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss, Glossy Photo Paper or Matte Photo Paper in A4, 4 x 6", 5 x 7" & Credit Card sizes
Why can't it print borderless on A4 plain paper? Or can it? :?
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:15 AM   #94

DaiButsu wrote:
Quote:
I have a Japanese-model Canon printer (with CD printing and using Japanese drivers) that works perfectly on my US/English language Windows computer.
Are you able to plug the Japanese-model into a US outlet or do you need to step down the voltage to 100V?

I am seriously considering ordering a Japanese model. I've got my eye on the iP7100.
EastRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:55 AM   #95

I just wanted to comment that the 6-color 2 picoliter printers from Canon still outclass the ip5000 at photo printing (I thought the ip5000 would at least match them).

However, it's a really close call, and in many subjects, who knows, maybe the ip5000 could do better. The Photo quality of the IP5000 sits between an i860/ip40000 and a i950/i960/ip6000d

- Raist
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:36 AM   #96

As for 4 color vs 6 color. I own the Canon s820 with 6 colors, and last year bought my brother the Canon i470d with 4 colors. There is NO difference, his prints just as well as mine does.

Even Steve I think mentioned early in this thread that4 colors arejust as good now.

Personally I'm now leaning more towards 4 or 5 colors because 6 colors is just too dang expensive anymore to refill/replace 6 colors at $12 a cartridge.

My s820 has clogged up some of the nozzles for black for whatever reason and I can't seem to get them unclogged. I think I paid $300 for this printer too. But it has been the best printer I have owned.... much better than Epsons noiseyprinters.
tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:00 AM   #97

My sisters and I want to buy my parents a photo printer for Christmas (to accompany their Canon PowerShot A75 camera). I figured I'd just get them a printer like mine because I have the Canon i960, however now I see that this one is no longer available at most places and I am really confused as to which of the newer cameras is taking its place.I could probably still track down an i960 if I really want it but I am not sure now if I should. Is the pixma ip 4000 just as good (or close to it)in terms of photo quality as the i960? It would be nice to get a printer that doesn't have the ink overhead of the i960.

Thanks,

Monica
MonPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:55 AM   #98

MonPep wrote:
Quote:
My sisters and I want to buy my parents a photo printer for Christmas (to accompany their Canon PowerShot A75 camera).¬* I figured I'd just get them a printer like mine because I have the Canon i960, however now I see that this one is no longer available at most places and I am really confused as to which of the newer cameras is taking its place.¬*¬*I could probably still¬* track down an i960 if I really want it but I am not sure now if I should.¬* Is the pixma ip 4000 just as good (or close to it)¬*in terms of photo quality as the i960?¬* It would be nice to get a printer that doesn't have the ink overhead of the i960.

Thanks,

Monica
Monica

The pixma 4000 is really a first class printer!
quiet,fast and superb A4 color pints!
text is near to laserquality
and being from Belgium we have the privilege,of a CD&DVD print-tray, wich is great!

nice regards from Antwerp
Drake

p's:we compared the same A4 Calorprints from a 40000 and 5000..well the 4000 wins!
i don't know why, but the colors of the ip5000 are a little on the dull site!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:21 AM   #99

Interesting to see all these notes on Canons-- my speciality-

http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

And I've just reorganized and updated the pages.

You might enjoy the printer AND ink shoot out tests.

The ip6000 and 6000d look very similar to the i960, but last time I looked at high resolution printing times, these were not as fast. Somebody who has got one, do the highest resolution 8X10 on glossy paper and tell me how long it takes. From what I have gathered, only the 8500 is as fast at highest resolutions as the 960--- under a minute for a full sheet.

The 960 can't be beat for the money these days, hands down.
The thing I don't like about this years top line models 9900 and 8500 is that they require yet 2 more colors, and for what I can tell, limited improvement. 6 colors has served me exceedingly well- though on my bulletin board, WITHOUT COLOR PROFILING, one visitor likes the 8 colors better. I don't know, I've never missed the pure red and green and I print TONS of stuff. See the board at
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

The 6000 uses the same 6 colors as the 960, so they're a close match-- and the 6000D is only $179 at Best Buy.

Any Canon printer seems the best to me, over both Epson and HP for various reasons. http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/printtest.html for printer comparison shoot out

I've compared the 4 and 5 color printers previous to the six color-- and they are very good, and probably fine for most people, excellent printers.

No inkjet printer prints the best text-- get a $100 laser jet if you're printing lots of text that's crucial. Otherwise, get a more expensive printer, or be happy with a less expensive one that does very good photos, and okay text.

Later
Neil
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:11 PM   #100

Steve,

How doestheiP 4000compare to the i960?
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote