Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:16 AM   #11

I've got an i865 with CD printing which replaced my Epson 900 and it does an excellent job (software is not as configurable as Epsons though).

Having already got an i550, i850 & an i865 do you think my wife would notice if I got another one?

And thanks to Steve for answering my silly question :-)

We'll be back in Florida again this December and will be staying in Clearwater for2 or 3days while we visit friends in Spring Hill, so if anyone knows any goodspots for some nice scenic shots I'd be grateful for suggestions!.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:36 PM   #12
Administrator

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
Wow, thats amazing for a 5 color. I have always been a huge fan of the i860, but the quality of this unit along with the features is jaw dropping.

I also noticed in the flash demo some other listed models that are not apparently released yet:
Yeah, don't tell Canon... I wasn't even supposed to mention the IP4000R in my review and at Canon's request I removed that paragraph from my conclusion text. They sent me a PR disc with all the info and pictures and most of those other printers won't be announced until September. Oops! Oh well, I am not under NDA on them yet either so they can't blame me -- they sent me the CD
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:20 AM   #13

steve wrote:
Quote:
I believe we have the first published review of the new Canon Pixma iP4000 printerand this is a beauty for just $149!

I was kind of shocked last year by how well the i860 did with just 3 colors but the new iP4000 even blows that away. So who really needs all those other ink tanks?

Steve, how is the iP4000 supposedly as far as photo quality goes, to blow away then i860 when both use the same inks and same number of inks? I just want to know what did you notice that was improved....

Also the i860 for photos, is a 4 color printer (photo black + the other three). The i850 is the one that is 3-colors, mixing the colors to get the black when printing photos. The i860 uses the extra black in photos.

Both the i850 and i860 do not use the big pigment black for photos, but for text, unless your force it. When doing that the resolution is limited to 600x600dpi only.

respectfully,

Raist3d
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:06 PM   #14

Not to answer for Steve, but just throwing in my two cents. Canon has this new printhead technology - Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering - so it seems the quality jump has to do with the quality and output of the new printhead design.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:48 PM   #15
Administrator

Right you are, see pg 2 of the review for info about the printhead.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:12 AM   #16

I just bought the i860 today and then found out about the iP4000 so I'm thinking of exchanging it, but I just have one question.

One of the reasons I purchased the i860 is for the low cost of black and white printing, which I will be doing a lot of, at 2.7 cents per page with a yield of 639 pages per set of cartridges according to pcworld. I had considered purchasing the i960 but oddly enough its got a higher cost per black and white page with a yield of only 388 pages per set of cartridges. I wonder what would account for this considering they both use the same cartridges and as far as I know, printer head technology.

Does anyone know how the iP4000 stacks up in this department?

Also, I'm wondering if I should wait for the new models? Was there any other iP4000 versions listed or just the iP4000R wirelss one? Ideally I'd like to get the printer late August or early September and it was mentioned they won't be announcing them until September, but I can wait if something great is in the pipeline.

Thanks.
tembry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:04 AM   #17

The i860 and i960 donot use the same cartridges when it comes to text black.

The reason you are seeing a better cost per page on the i860 is because it uses the BCI-3e Black cartridge. The i960 does not use the cartridge, but instead uses its BCi-6 photo cartridge to print black text, which is a fair bit smaller than the BCi-3e.

As for cost per page of the iP4000, it should be exactly similar to the i860, since they both run the same ink set.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:57 AM   #18

Something else that appears to be advantagous about the 860 / ip4000 is that the black text ink comes out of its own set of print heads, so you can use cheapo generic ink for your text printing without worrying about gumming up your photoprinting heads. I was about to order 860, but when I read the review of the ip4000 I pre ordered it instead, I print alot of fdaxes for my work, and my wife prints alot of 4x6 photos of the baby, so it seems like the perfect printer for us.
kenyoncad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:40 PM   #19

Thanks for the clarification, I missed that important fact about the black ink cartridges. I guess my decision is made then, back to the store with the i860.
tembry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 2:27 AM   #20

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
Not to answer for Steve, but just throwing in my two cents. Canon has this new printhead technology - Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering - so it seems the quality jump has to do with the quality and output of the new printhead design.
At the moment based on the review photo of the printhead I believe Canon has a new name for the printhead but I'm not convinced it is brand new technology. You can compare it with the one in thei860 review if you haven't got a i860. I have seen a statement by a Canon rep that the ejection frequency is increased on the new printer. Faster output is one thing, a jump in quality of output over the i860 is something I'd need to see.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote