Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:43 PM   #21

Just curious, I'm on the EDGE of buying a Canon i9900. Now comes this thread and the hints of new lines, new printhead technology coming out in Sept.Is thereanything coming in Sept that would be a definitive upgrade/ replacement to the i9900? I'm not in a huge hurry and can wait if something better is right around the corner.

oneblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 7:28 PM   #22

No. The i9900 will remain in the line as the wide carriage 8 color unit.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:19 PM   #23

Is the printer silent when in standby mode?

If so, with its special black ink for text and laser-quality text output, I think I'd leave it on full time and use it instead of my noisy, slow-starting Xerox laser for short text print jobs—in addition, of course, to the excellent photo and color graphics capabilities.
wschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:27 AM   #24

steve wrote:
Quote:
Right you are, see pg 2 of the review for info about the printhead.

I would like to know how exactly this is supposed to be better. First because both printer have a 2 picoliter drop, so unless the new print head build process has somehow more drop accuracy then I don't think there should be any difference.

Second because, are we sure the i850/i860 printheads are not built using "FINE(TM)" already?!!! Look at Canon's marketing calling the "new" black ink of the i860 (and iP4000) "Contrast Plus" yet the BCI-6BK ink has been around for quite a few years already for their other photo printer line.

Personally I think Canon is using the same technology and this is just a marketing attempt at making something already there appear new. I am not going to rule out I am wrong, but I also see a high chance of what I am saying being the truth.

I think a better question is: If you print two photos- one from the i860 and one in the iP 4000, same subject at all, do they show any noticeable differences?

respectfully, Raist3d
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:12 PM   #25

Contrast Plus refers to the dual use of the BCI-6 black and the BCI-3e Black. One for photo printing and one for text. It does not simply refer to the BCI-6 standing alone.

As for the printhead. It seems to be new technology. Either that or Canon is simply putting a new name on the current technology. But judging from what I have seen of the previous i860, which was simply an exceptional printer, and now the results of the iP4000 -I am not really sure I care what they call it. The results are in the output.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:48 AM   #26

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
Contrast Plus refers to the dual use of the BCI-6 black and the BCI-3e Black. One for photo printing and one for text. It does not simply refer to the BCI-6 standing alone.

As for the printhead. It seems to be new technology. Either that or Canon is simply putting a new name on the current technology. But judging from what I have seen of the previous i860, which was simply an exceptional printer, and now the results of the iP4000 -I am not really sure I care what they call it. The results are in the output.

I believe my poin still stands. The only differences between the i850 and i860 are that the i850 uses the BI-3 series of inks, the i860 series of inks, and the extra black on the i860. The real difference here as far as contrast goes is the extra black, again hardly new Canon technology.

What I want to know is exactly that: what is the difference between the i860 and iP4000? What difference did you notice?

Thanks

- Raist

raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:59 AM   #27

When I get an iP4000 in our store, I'll run some prints and let you know. Unless someone wants to send me one in advance....

Out of curiosity, raist3d, you seem very "aggressive" on this topic. You on a mission of sorts?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:08 PM   #28

Does anyone know of a page that explains and illustrates the process of ejecton of ink in the FINE print head? I want to see the differences between FINE, and Microfine DT.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:09 PM   #29

Mayhem, I'd suggest that it's you who are very pro the iP4000 yet you haven't seen one. Perhaps some people are already quite satisfied with the quality and speed of the output on porous paper and would have liked to see the development go towards compatibilty with swellable papers or some other anti-fade technology.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:35 PM   #30

Sure I am pro iP4000. I own an i860 and love it. The iP4000 has more features with at least the same, if not better, output quality. So yeah, but that's is just my opinion.

As for swellable papers, I was under the impression that only HP used swellable paper types to absorb the amount of ink they put on the paper (Kodak paper types being swellable as well). Where Canon and Epson do not use/need swellable paper.

As for the anti-fade concept.. I think 25-35 years with Canon Pro (or 100 years with Kodak) is plenty! I mean, really, I do not understand the argument.

1) In25 years you reprint the image.

2) God only knows what technology will be available for printing by then, let alone in 5 years.

The longevity argument, to a point, just seems crazy at times. How long do we really need prints to last. If you do need them to last for a professional reason a certain amount of time, that's understandable. However, I don't think that holds true for the majority of the typical consumers.