Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:12 PM   #31

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
As for swellable papers, I was under the impression that only HP used swellable paper types to absorb the amount of ink they put on the paper (Kodak paper types being swellable as well). Where Canon and Epson do not use/need swellable paper.

As for the anti-fade concept.. I think 25-35 years with Canon Pro (or 100 years with Kodak) is plenty! I mean, really, I do not understand the argument.
Fading seems to be dependant on your environment. For some people it isn't an issue.

Swellable papers protect against gas fading (ozone). I don't think it would be used where ink absorption was an issue as pooling of ink on the surface can be a problem. The speed that Canon printers lay down ink rules out some papers. Epson do have a swellable paper "Colorlife" similar to Kodak Colorlast and Ilford Classic.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 3:07 AM   #32

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
When I get an iP4000 in our store, I'll run some prints and let you know. Unless someone wants to send me one in advance....

Out of curiosity, raist3d, you seem very "aggressive" on this topic. You on a mission of sorts?

Ummm.. I think sometimes people mix conviction with aggressiveness. I am just stating what I see, and I do believe I have been respectful about it? If not my apologies. I made it clear that I wasn't 100% sure about what I am asking either, but that it wouldn't surprise me "FINE" is what the i860 used already.

The bottom line is, I want to know if the photo prints on the iP4000 look better than the i860 or not, since both use the same 2 picoliter drop size, and because Canon could be calling something old new.

Again, I am not saying this is the case. I just want to make sure I understand exactly how photo prints out of the ip4000 are better than the i860 (other than speed and the full duplex built int of the ip4000).

raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 3:11 AM   #33

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
Sure I am pro iP4000. I own an i860 and love it. The iP4000 has more features with at least the same, if not better, output quality. So yeah, but that's is just my opinion.

So you haven't seen the ip4000 output? Then why is it claimed it is better? *sigh*

Anyway, on the fading issue, it's not 25 years- it depends a lot on your environment. I have had Canon prints fade in 6 months to as little as 3 weeks. The biggest challenge is the Kitchen - as it has humidity and all sorts of things.

Doing a fade test with the new Kodak Paper and Photo Paper Pro, made me realize that the Canon paper resists the light relatively well- yet in the kitchen it started to fade in no time. This is probably the enviroment/humidity.

If I could print without banding in high quality or ink pooling on the Kodak paper I would be satisfied, but the Canon printers are so fast this becomes an issue. When I set the i860 on highest quality it makes it print slower so on some photos, depending on the subject the Kodak paper behaves appropriatedly but unfortunately on many it has visible banding.

Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:04 AM   #34

This post was initially about the Steve's Digicams Review of the iP4000. There are comparison images of the prints from the i9900, i9100, & iP4000. My judgement was made from those images on this review as well as the output I have seen from the current i860.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:37 PM   #35

Mayhem wrote:
Quote:
This post was initially about the Steve's Digicams Review of the iP4000. There are comparison images of the prints from the i9900, i9100, & iP4000. My judgement was made from those images on this review as well as the output I have seen from the current i860.
Absolutely, and given that I haven't seen the photos side by side, my question remains unanswered. It is also known the i860 outdoes the quality of the 9100 output.

- Raist

Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:55 PM   #36

How's this printer compare with the Canon i960? Should I get the iP4000 or the i960? If money were no object (And these were the only printers I was considering), which one should I get?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:20 PM   #37

Azure wrote:
Quote:
How's this printer compare with the Canon i960? Should I get the iP4000 or the i960? If money were no object (And these were the only printers I was considering), which one should I get?

Goes back to useage.. If all you want to do is photos then i960 is a little better than the iP4000 by most accounts. Cost per print for photos is comparable between the two.

If you want a general purpose printer that will save you a lot of money (when printing text, etc) then the iP4000 is a big winner. The extra large black cartridge will save you a lot of money if you are printing out web pages and standard letters. The quality of the photos will be a little less but not so much that you would feel like you need an upgrade. You also get double sided printing and the dual paper paths with the iP4000 that make it easier to use for a home office type situation.

If money is no object. Get the I9900 much better than both of the above. But takes more desk space.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:08 PM   #38

I just got mine today. Really nice. Upgraded from an i850.

The one thing that REALLY annoys me is that the Pixma ip4000 in the UK has CD/DVD printing but not the US version. I'm wondering if there might be a way to mod the printer to do that.
phantasm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:59 PM   #39
sds

I got mine and it did great on the 4x6 paper that came with it. My question is; can you use Kodak or some other brand with it? Your help will be apprciated, Shelton
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:14 PM   #40

I've been using Epson Premium Glossy 6x4 in an i865 with no problems.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote