Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:37 PM   #41

phantasm10 wrote:
Quote:
The one thing that REALLY annoys me is that the Pixma ip4000 in the UK has CD/DVD printing but not the US version. I'm wondering if there might be a way to mod the printer to do that.
From what I have seen in the printer manual, the inner cover is the tray that feeds the CD tray into the printer for the UK models. Sort of what EPSON is doing with the R200/R300.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:47 PM   #42

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
Azure wrote:
Quote:
How's this printer compare with the Canon i960? Should I get the iP4000 or the i960? If money were no object (And these were the only printers I was considering), which one should I get?

Goes back to useage.. If all you want to do is photos then i960 is a little better than the iP4000 by most accounts. Cost per print for photos is comparable between the two.

If you want a general purpose printer that will save you a lot of money (when printing text, etc) then the iP4000 is a big winner. The extra large black cartridge will save you a lot of money if you are printing out web pages and standard letters. The quality of the photos will be a little less but not so much that you would feel like you need an upgrade. You also get double sided printing and the dual paper paths with the iP4000 that make it easier to use for a home office type situation.

If money is no object. Get the I9900 much better than both of the above. But takes more desk space.

Ah, so then it would be the iP4000. But, because I don't have the money with me right now, should I consider just waiting just a little longer for the iP5000 (It comes out this in September or October, doesn't it?)? Or would there be a big price different between the 2 printers?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:01 PM   #43

Azure wrote:
Quote:
Ah, so then it would be the iP4000. But, because I don't have the money with me right now, should I consider just waiting just a little longer for the iP5000 (It comes out this in September or October, doesn't it?)? Or would there be a big price different between the 2 printers?
Gee and I thought price was no object

Based on the previous pricing (ie this aguess) the price for the 6 color version should be $50 (USD) higher than the 4+1 Color version. But remember the price per page of a six color is higher than the 4+1. Canon could fool us all and release a 6+1 color version or 8 color (same as the i9900) and only Steve would know that one (and he is probably under NDA).

As for waiting it depends, if you are currently spending money at a photo lab or on high priced replacement cartridges for your current printer. Now may not be a bad time (in fact I just saw the i860 for $99 at Fry's).You can always wait for the next printer/camera but there will always be something coming out in about 2 months (the next Canon or Epson)so all you can do is pick a time and buy it.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:23 AM   #44

:-)would wait until Sept 1 if I were you. the iP5000 is even LOADS better...
undo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:34 PM   #45

I've read that iP5000 will be able to achieve a resolution of up to 9600 x 2400 dpi with droplets as small as1 picoliter, but it will still use the same ContrastPLUS 5-color ink system as the iP4000. Sounds crazy, but we'll see if it's true when the press release appears. :shock:

iP6000D: 4800 x 1200dpi,2 pl droplets, 6 separate colors

iP8500: 4800 x 2400 dpi, 2 pl droplets, 8 separate colors

This information was found in an article (pdf file) which is supposed to appear in a Danishmagazine called "Alt om Data"in September.

grauballe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:51 PM   #46

undo333 wrote:
Quote:
:-) would wait until Sept 1 if I were you. the iP5000 is even LOADS better...
Really? I was planning on buying the iP4000 today. Wouldn't the iP5000 cost around $200?

BTW, I was wondering, where would I buy ink for the iP4000? It's a relatively new printer, so I haven't seen it in any of the electronics stores I've been to. Does it use any of the same ink cartridges as some of the old Canon printers so I could just buy some of those? Or should I buy the ink online?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 3:07 PM   #47

Cool thing about Canon is that they don't change ink with every printer.They change the headbut the inkand ink flow system is pretty standard.

The ink is the same as the ink used in the current i860 (which was used in the i850 which was used etc, etc).

Same 6 series that can be bought at any normal retailer

Old Aug 28, 2004, 3:31 PM   #48

So I can just buy the i860 ink cartridges and use them for the iP4000? But what about the big black ink cartridge used for text? Do other Canon printers have this cartridge?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:12 PM   #49

Azure wrote:
Quote:
So I can just buy the i860 ink cartridges and use them for the iP4000? But what about the big black ink cartridge used for text? Do other Canon printers have this cartridge?

Yep same cartridges. The big black one is also used by the i860.

The exact numbers are

BCI-3eBk Black ink tank
BCI-6Bk Black ink tank
BCI-6C Cyan ink tank
BCI-6M Magenta ink tank
BCI-6Y Yellow ink tank

----------------------------------------
The big black tank isonly in the i860, iP4000. It is also used in the lower end i560 (but they mix the CYM to makeblack in pictures). It also may be present in some lower end printers. But not in any of the higher end printers.

I think the problem is that the head assembly gets too big for the case if they try to make a 6+1 printer, this is also why their is no i9900 equivalent 8 1/2 x 11 printer.

The newer series case (Pixima) may have more room in it so maybe they will be able to make some more variations.

Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:36 PM   #50

So, I can just go to my local electronics store and buy ink cartridges for the i860 and use them directly with my iP4000? I wouldn't notice a difference in the quality between the ink cartrdiges that came with the iP4000 versus ones that I bought that were for the i860?

Also, what do you mean by "I think the problem is that the head assembly gets too big for the case if they try to make a 6+1 printer, this is also why their is no i9900 equivalent 8 1/2 x 11 printer." Some printers cannot print 8 1/2 x 11 pictures?