Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:00 PM   #61

Vincent Oliver of Photo-i will be doing a review of the iP8500 this week. His reviews are very extensive and detailed.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:25 PM   #62

IP4000 vs. ip5000: I read from the site below that the IP5000 will have 5 colors (like the ip4000), but will print in 1 picolitre rather than 2 like the ip4000. I'm a nabe on this stuff, and an wondering whether the ip5000 will adress what I thought was the main criticism of the 8600/ip4000 -- the color accuracy, caused by not enough colors. What do you'all think? It's a big jump in price to the ip8500 ($350) and the extra color guns.

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/

Rex02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:48 PM   #63

I don't think there is any serious criticism of the i860 on colour grounds. Once you go past 4 colours the improvements are marginal unless youare very demanding.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:33 PM   #64

Would I install the drivers first and then plug in the printer or would I plug it in first and then install the drivers?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:30 AM   #65

I sent this question to Canon and got the following reply...

Question:
I have been looking for a photo printer that will also
print on CD-R's.

Why does the American version of the PIXMA IP4000
not print on CD's like the European version?

Can I order the CD tray seperately?

Answer from Canon:
At this moment there is no information available regarding a new product
announcement in this category. Please keep in mind however, that Canon
continuously reviews its product lineup and as new products are
introduced, existing models are often taken out of production. We
recommend you check our web site from time to time to learn of new
announcements.

Of course, they didn't answer my question.
MarkSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 4:40 PM   #66

I have a i860 and reading the forum it looks like the iP4000 is supposed to be better than the i860. I checked the specs and the ink and find that with exception of better speed that they are essentially the same printer in a different box.

Can someone shed some light on this. I will buy the ip4000 if there is a improvement somewhere in the picture quality

Thanks

visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 7:20 PM   #67

Unless you want the duplexing and tray feed features my guess is you won't really noticeany difference worth swapping. Keep using the i860 until the results from theiP5000 are out.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:57 PM   #68

That is exactly the response I got from Canon in a email.

I hope Steve can respond based on his review of the product

Thanks

Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:08 PM   #69

Steve,

Canon's reply on the difference:

Quote:
The specification for the i860 and the iP4000 printers are nearly identical. They use the same number and model of ink tanks. However, the iP4000 allows you to load paper from the front as well as the back. This allows you to have both plain and photo paper loaded at the same time. You can select which paper to print from using a button the front of the printer. The iP4000 also supports automatic duplex printing.
I asked specifically if there was any picture quality improvement, but apparently not.

In your review were you able to see any difference
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:45 AM   #70

A lot of people seem to be wondering why the US versions of Canon printers do not have CD printing, yet the European versions do.

The answer (that I read on a website somewhere else) is simply that a previous US patent is blocking Canon's ability to include this feature on it's printers, whilst no such barrier exists in the European marketplace. So basically you have your own capitalistic, lawyer-infested society to blame!

I wonder why Canon doesn't want to advertise the fact that other companies are preventing them from adding features to their printers? I wonder if they patented the duplex system of the ip4000 to stop the other companies including duplex on their future printers? This stupid game is not good for consumers; get your act together USA... first step is to get rid of the Bush family and the other 100 families that are practically running your country solely to make trillions of dollars for themselves. Then maybe you can have a Canon that prints onto CD's. :-)
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote