Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:31 PM   #71

Since canon can't release the cd-printing version in the USA .... would it work if we bought the UK edition?

How would the drivers work in this instance?

I REALLY want that printer [iP4000r] but I need cd/dvd printing ....
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:08 AM   #72

has anyone tried modifying the printer to allow it to work to print CD? I went to compUSA the other day and noticed that the CD tray has been blocked when you open the inner part of tray. I was wondering if someone managed to cut a small cm off the blocking area and try some drivers from that's not from USA. Any info would be appreciated. You can probably just make a mimic cd-tray to insert it in and see if anything prints out. I used to print CD with my canon BJC8200, so I do have some minor experience with cd printing.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:21 AM   #73

I am glad to find everyone is as annoyed as I am about not having cdr printing available on this printer. I bought the printer a week ago and tried everything to get it to print on cds.

Here are the results of my tinkering:

There is a plastic piece that can be removed on the "inner cover" to reveal the cdr tray slot (can be carefully popped on and off)

Downloading drivers from other countries (I downloaded english drivers from canon asia)will give you the option of selecting "printable disk (recommended)" as a media type, but only if you manually select the printer port during installation. However, once the printer communicates with the computer the printable disk option is removed.

On various random and non-reproducible occasions I was able to get the printer to feed something into the cdr slot. However, even during these times I would finally get an error stating that the inner cover was open and I needed to shut it to continue printing.

I also noticed that even if I did somehow get around feeding the cdr slot, the "tray" would have nowhere to go sinceits path is obstructed (white thingies for keeping paper down)

My (disappointing) conclusions:

The firmware of the printer precludes the "printable disk" option from being selected and thus will not feed into the cdr slot.

Even if somehow this could be overridden, the physical construction would not allow it to print on the full surface ofa disk.

Due to the above points, I do not think there is any minor tinkering that may be done to help us out (though let me know if anyone finds a way). However, I never tested whether I could somehow move the white thingies and I no longer have the printer, butif they could be easily moved, all that may be neededare some software "adjustments."

This would be an absolutely perfect printer for me otherwise, I love the duplexing capabilities and it is also a great photo printer, it just needs cdr printing and then we could walk off into the sunsetand live a long happy life together (I returned it to await the American cdr printing age of enlightenment, but after reading the above posts I realize this may not happen anytime soon). I apologize for the lengthy post (newbie poster).

P.S. If anyone can find a way to order a UK printer (or other cd printing version) let me know (I looked at that option as well but didn't find any UK online retailers that ship to the US)

niteowl099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:43 PM   #74

niteowl099 wrote:
Quote:
I am glad to find everyone is as annoyed as I am about not having cdr printing available on this printer. I bought the printer a week ago and tried everything to get it to print on cds.

Here are the results of my tinkering:

There is a plastic piece that can be removed on the "inner cover" to reveal the cdr tray slot (can be carefully popped on and off)

Downloading drivers from other countries (I downloaded english drivers from canon asia)will give you the option of selecting "printable disk (recommended)" as a media type, but only if you manually select the printer port during installation. However, once the printer communicates with the computer the printable disk option is removed.

On various random and non-reproducible occasions I was able to get the printer to feed something into the cdr slot. However, even during these times I would finally get an error stating that the inner cover was open and I needed to shut it to continue printing.

I also noticed that even if I did somehow get around feeding the cdr slot, the "tray" would have nowhere to go sinceits path is obstructed (white thingies for keeping paper down)

My (disappointing) conclusions:

The firmware of the printer precludes the "printable disk" option from being selected and thus will not feed into the cdr slot.

Even if somehow this could be overridden, the physical construction would not allow it to print on the full surface ofa disk.

Due to the above points, I do not think there is any minor tinkering that may be done to help us out (though let me know if anyone finds a way). However, I never tested whether I could somehow move the white thingies and I no longer have the printer, butif they could be easily moved, all that may be neededare some software "adjustments."

This would be an absolutely perfect printer for me otherwise, I love the duplexing capabilities and it is also a great photo printer, it just needs cdr printing and then we could walk off into the sunsetand live a long happy life together (I returned it to await the American cdr printing age of enlightenment, but after reading the above posts I realize this may not happen anytime soon). I apologize for the lengthy post (newbie poster).

P.S. If anyone can find a way to order a UK printer (or other cd printing version) let me know (I looked at that option as well but didn't find any UK online retailers that ship to the US)

I was afraid you were going to say that. That's exactly what I thought it would happen. canon would disable the print cd feature in their firmware even though the tray could be opened. Now I just wish if there's any way to circumvent that.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 6:59 AM   #75

.... would using the UK one in the USA work? [imported]

:O
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:48 PM   #76

Quote:
.... would using the UK one in the USA work? [imported]
No guarantees, but there is no reason I can think of whyit wouldn't.That is as long as the power supply matches or you have the proper power converters.

I have a Japanese-modelCanon printer (with CD printing and using Japanese drivers)that works perfectlyon my US/English language Windows computer.

DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:08 PM   #77

niteowl, did you take into account that the cd tray needs seperate hardware to feed the cd into it?

This is the part that really makes me wonder if it's possible, the tray itself.

I own the PIXMA ip3000, and I see the rollers that you mentioned, but I can't imagine that if canon was to go so out of their way as to change the hardware inside the printer, they wouldn't also change the outside as to not show the flip down tray at all. Makes me think (or hope, rather) that the only difference between the USA and non-USA versions of this printer are only the software and lack of the extra cd/dvd tray.

If it's not too much of a bother, would someone with a non-USA pixma care to shoot some pictures of the tray itself, and maybe the internals of the printer? As great as the printer is WITHOUT the cd printing, it would just make it so much better
Attached Images

snow veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:40 PM   #78

Well, I got the ip5000. It looks like the hardware features has the lack of hardware of the ip4000. Is there any way to allow this to print cd?

Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:56 AM   #79

if anyone in the USA happens to have the UK edition, and can test if all the features work [cd printing, drivers] that 'd be great.

i'm extremely interested in this printer, but need cd printing
Old Oct 9, 2004, 1:51 AM   #80

Two questions about the iP4000 (or iP5000):

1. Does the driver havea "High gloss photo film" option for the media type? It has been said that Kodak premium high gloss paper is quite fade resistant but that it needs to be printed using this setting.

2. For DVD labels printed with the UK model, will there be fading due to air pollutants and ozone like some papers have?

Both questions stem from posts about the i960 which uses the same ink cartridges. Am especially interested in question-1 since I can still return the i960 I bought and get an iP4000 or iP5000. Thanks.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote