Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 10, 2004, 1:11 PM   #81

The real reason that Canon does not support CD printing from it's US units is indeed related to the Patent that Phillips has on this "technology". The reason it is not implimented is simply because Canon refuses to pay Phillips the patent fees to license this technology.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:57 AM   #82

I have been playing with this iP4000 for almost 2 weeks now. I noticed that the black text is not as Black as my ancient old HP660C (600dpi) printer!

Not only the black, but even when printing text in Red for example, they look washed out and not defined.

One solution is to select High Resolution Paper as paper source instead of Plain Paper, but then the speed will be Much slower. I wonder if that's because the two mode uses different black ink? Which mode is using which one?? Which one is suppose to produce better text quality theoritically?

Any other printer as a suggestion? I print Text more often than Photos...
fanbanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:47 AM   #83

For those who are interested in the CD/DVD printing capabilities lacking in american versions (of all canon pixma printers), I started a topic devoted to this hoping to promote more discussion and hopefully eventually a fix (topic here).

Snow Veil thanx for the pics, but I am hoping there is no real function of the tray itself other than as a CD holder providing proper alignment (which I think can be worked around).
niteowl099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:39 PM   #84

I want to buy a photo printer. I have a dye sub Canon for 4x6 prints, but I want to be able to do 8x10s. I was looking at the iP6000D and the iP4000. I understand that the 6000 has the card reader and standalone functionality, but I am purely concerned with photo quality. The real question is, which will look better, the 6000D with its cyan, magenta, yellow, photo cyan, photo magenta, and black or the 4000 with its cyan, magenta, yellow, photo black, and text black. The 4000 has 128 more nozzles per color not including the text black, but will that even matter? Please help.

thanks

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:54 PM   #85

The iP6000D (i900D) reduced nozzle count affects speed. I would try to see some 4 colour output from an i860 or iP4000 first so you can decide if you need a6 colour printer.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:40 AM   #86

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
.... but I am purely concerned with photo quality. The real question is, which will look better, the 6000D with its cyan, magenta, yellow, photo cyan, photo magenta, and black or the 4000 with its cyan, magenta, yellow, photo black, and text black.
Mike,

Inkjet printers that add the photo cyan and photo magenta are always better than printers that don't have those extra two inks. Without the PM and PC the printer has to try to reduce the dot size and or dither to get the ligher shades of magenta and cyan. This will include the paper's white to get the lighter colors.

With the PM and PC inks which are ligher, the printer can lay down more ink and cover the white paper and still get the lighter shades.

I just ordered a Canon i960 which uses the PC and PM inks. The pixma series has printers with the PC and PM inks so that should confirm that printouts using those colors are better. Otherwise Canon could have just gone with the cyan, magenta, yellow printers like the pixma ip4000 and ip5000. .... Please no offense to folks who have CMYK inkjet printers since their printouts look great too. Just that printers that add the PM and PC inks look a tad better.

As you said that you are "purely concerned with photo quality", then maybe PC and PM inks should be in your next printer.

Best regards, Skylark

skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:15 AM   #87

skylark wrote:
Quote:
Inkjet printers that add the photo cyan and photo magenta are always better than printers that don't have those extra two inks. Without the PM and PC the printer has to try to reduce the dot size and or dither to get the ligher shades of magenta and cyan. This will include the paper's white to get the lighter colors.

With the PM and PC inks which are ligher, the printer can lay down more ink and cover the white paper and still get the lighter shades.
I hate absolutes. An old S800 (Canons first gen 6 color) is not better than a current iP4000/i860. In fact the trick of using half intensity inks to simulate smaller dot sizes is just that a trick a smaller dot size 4 color will have a higher resolution across all colors where the 6 color printers (with the next size up dot size) will only be able to equil the performance across a narrower range of colors, this is why theyadded theRed and Green (premix colors) to the i9900 andiP8500.

A perfect example of this is B/W printing. PM & PC don't even factor into the prints so for BW printing a 6 color and 4 color (with the same dot size) are exactly the same printer.

Don't get me wrong it is a trick but a very good trick and you are generally better off with the 6 color printer but the wildcard in the mix is the new iP5000, it has a smaller dot size so it could be better than the 6 color printers (at least until the 6 colors hit 1pl). The best thing about the iP4000/i860 is the big black cartrige for text printing. This makes the printer more of a general purpose printer with excellent photo printing.

Quote:
As you said that you are "purely concerned with photo quality", then maybe PC and PM inks should be in your next printer.
Actually you should even be looking at the iP8500 (8 color) output for the ultimate photo printing the i9900 is impressive.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:58 PM   #88

Quote:
I hate absolutes. An old S800 (Canons first gen 6 color) is not better than a current iP4000/i860.
I don't think the poster was thinking of buying an older printer. Come on, take the statement in the context that it was intended.

Quote:
A perfect example of this is B/W printing. PM & PC don't even factor into the prints so for BW printing a 6 color and 4 color (with the same dot size) are exactly the same printer.
Yes,the ip4000 and ip5000 should have better black text printing since one of the black cartridges holds pigment black ink.

I was really torn between getting the ip5000 or the i960. It was reading the Neil Slade web site that I decided to go with the i960. The write up can be found here:

http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

I decided to get the i960 instead of the ip model with 6 colors since the i960 is currentlycheaper than the newer ip 6 color model. Also, it apparently is better made according to the neilslade site.

I decided against the ip5000 because with the 1 pl drop size I felt it might be more prone to clogging, while the i960 has all the quality I want withdouble the drop size so"maybe" less prone to clogging. Especially if I start using 3rd party inks per the neil slade site. The i960 is well supported by 3rd party inks and drivers while the ip5000 is not yet.

Best regards, Skylark
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:09 PM   #89

I ended up ordering an i960 over the weekend because the i960 has the functionality I needed, it appears to make very good prints, and amazon.com had it on sale over the weekend for $119USD. At that price, my decision was made for me. Now that the iP6000 has been released, I'm finding the i960 for reduced prices as stores are clearing their shelves.
I'm just waiting on the super-saver free shipping to finally deliver my printer.
okmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:02 PM   #90

okmilo wrote:
Quote:
I ended up ordering an i960 over the weekend because the i960 has the functionality I needed, it appears to make very good prints, and amazon.com had it on sale over the weekend for $119USD. At that price, my decision was made for me. Now that the iP6000 has been released, I'm finding the i960 for reduced prices as stores are clearing their shelves.
I'm just waiting on the super-saver free shipping to finally deliver my printer.
Wow, that was a really good price you got for your i960 plus free shipping to boot! Great buy!

Skylark