Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:41 AM   #1

I used the search, but couldn't find my answer.

My old HP-880c printer gave it up, and I bought a Canon i860. It is billed as a great photo printer, and reviews I read before buying it confirm that. But the manual and specs say not to use paper in excess of 28# (paper jams) except for "Canon" brand paper. I have a lot of photo and greeting card paper left from using the HP-880c, and the paper also works fine in a cheapo Epson C60.

If there is a reason not to use these papers which range up to about 100#, what is the reason other than to scare me into buying Canon's own brand?

I am aware that there are differences in color depending on the paper used, and can live with that. But I can't believe there is any valid reason not to use the many packages of paper I already have.

Any help on the subject? :?::?::?:

Thanks
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:34 PM   #2

By the time I read that part of the manual I had fed my i860 all sorts of paper including 110 lb. card stock and have not had any problems so guess it's just an attempt to sell Canon paper. I've fed a lot of Epson heavyweight matte both single sided and double sided with no issues. I feed mine whatever I have and have had no jams or any problems of any kind.

HTH - Bob

l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:54 PM   #3

Thanks for that input I_50. Besides my i860, my daughter just yesterday bought a Canon MP390 multipurpose machine for her home office. And you guessed it, the exact same "requirement". I respect Canon machines, but this kind of coercion to buy only their product is rather underhanded in my opinion.

And again I am assuming there is not a good reason for the 28# limit. If there is, they need to beef up their machines or get out of the printer business.

I wonder what other posters experience has been with the Canon "our brand only" requirement.

FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:11 PM   #4

Yes, not to sure of that pound paper limit either. One day in store we accidentally fed through a 10 page brochure and it took and printed on it no problems (much to our surprise).

For paper TYPES though, if usuing glossy, stick with Canon, then maybe Epson and Olympus papers for best results. Some other folks might have tried some other paper types they might want to share as well.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote