Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1

I am about to purchase a new photo printer to replace my aging but still working HP 930c. My two choices are the Canon i960 and the Epson r800. From what I have read the canon prints much faster and obviously costs a lot less. The epson is slower but the prints lasts longer. What about image quality. Is the epson that much better? If the only thing is how long the prints last then I might pick the canon over the epson. Thanks for your time!
gplracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:09 PM   #2

The print quality of the i960 is almost the same as the r800 but it is different. So you might like the r800 prints better or you might like the i960 better. It's a close call.

The r800 tends to have prints that look different in different lighting conditions.

The r800 does better B/W prints.

The r800 can print panoramas, CDs.

The i960 is cheaper per page and for those times you need long life the Kodak paper can be used.

The interesting thing is that Steve's review of the iP4000 (Canon) looks like it may be better (or at least a competition) for the i960 quality, since it can be used as a general purpose printeryou might find it attractive.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:41 PM   #3

I just got back from Best Buy. The lady there concinced my friend not to get the i960. She said canon printers have more problems than any other printer. She talked him into gettting the epson r300. Opinions?
gplracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:18 PM   #4

Epson pays better commisions? They are overstocked on Epson printers? They get better money on Epson Supplies? Who knows maybe they dropped a batch of them off the truck and were shocked when they failed.

You can check through the forums here and see that people are not complaining about the reliability of either printer.

Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:13 PM   #5

Yeah, I agree. Thats a joke. They must be overstocked or paying commission on that unit.

I'd take it back and get an i960.

In regards to "problems" we rarely if ever see Canon printers (at least i560, i860, i960) come back for defective issues - and we sell about 200 per month at my location. We might see one come back out of those 200 for defective reasons. So the Canon's are crazy reliable.

Your friend got hood winked by Best Buy yahoo.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:03 PM   #6

castledude - Have any opinions on the qulaity of B/W prints from other printers besides the R800 vs the i960 ?
brotherbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:52 PM   #7

If all you wanted to print was B/W or if you could afford the room for it the HP 7960 does some amazing B/W prints. All the other printers beat it in every other way but in this one factor the HP just looks better. They are the only printer with a tricolor B/W cartridge (Black, Grey, lt Grey) and for me it did work.

This is also still an area that dye subs should be really good also. Unfortunately I have not seen any B/W prints on any dyesubs I can remember. Maybe I'll get somebody print up a test print on a Canon or Kodak "dock" to see what it does.

Personally I only do the occasional B/W print so the quality of the Canon and Epson are fine for me.