Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:39 PM   #1

I have been looking for a multifunction Printer/Fax/Copier/Scanner unit because its time to upgrade.

Right now I have a separate scanner and separate printer (Canon S750) that have been working fine for printing and occasional scanning. But the scanner is very old (Windows 98 era) and it's software was never intended for winows XP. Also, because of this there is no easy way to fax. I have to go through a bunch of software just to fax.

That is why I am looking to upgrade to a new mulifunction unit. I need something that can do it all. I have looked at the Canon Mp730, but I am concered that it's copying/faxing function is weak. When I tested a color copy in the store, it took about 2 minuets and then I finally canceled the print. I've also tried a lower end Epson model that has everything (unfortunately the Rx600 doesn't have Fax) and it is very fast at copying, but the print quality probably isn't up to par.

Can anybody help me out with which Multifunction is out there. I want this printer to do it all, including printing high quality photos, but I often (every couple of days) do copying for my own records. I also fax out every couple of weeks (multipage documents). That canon is almost perfect for me, but I really don't know how the other brands are. HP? Epson? Are the top end HP units comparable to the canon?

Also, I know that Canon has there new line of printers coming out, the IP series. Are there any plans for a multifunction based on the new line? I would wait for that.

btw, I love your reviews Steve.
rcordorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:29 PM   #2

Yes, new Canon Multifunctions are on the way.

You can at least take a look at them and get some general specs here:

http://www.canon.de/presse/infos/mul/mp750_mp780

If you read German though, you're really in business!
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:43 PM   #3

thanks for the good news. I was hoping canon would come out with something newer. The MP780 is also mentioned on the UK site, so no problems with language. Whats really interesting is that the MP780 has cd and dvd printing! I hope they don't strip it down for the US.

What about other manufacterers? Is anybody else worth taking a look at?
rcordorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:38 PM   #4

I hate to say this, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they will remove the CD feature from the US model.

Steve, any word on why Canon does this??
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:52 PM   #5

Canon doesn't include CD printing in any of their printers because they don't see a need for it in North America. What a shame. Canon, we want CD printing from YOU!!!
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 3:13 AM   #6

I believe that the issue is that some other company has a patent that applies in the US. Maybe Canon do not want to pay royalties.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 8:47 AM   #7

I have heard about that in other forums. They say that Kodak has a patent on CD printing.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:31 AM   #8

Actually, I was just in a meeting yesterday with Canon and asked about this. Apparently it is Philips that has the patent. In the US, companies have to pay them gobs of money to use the technology. It seems Epson bites the bullet and pays, Canon says no way.