Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

I REALLY need a new printer because my current printer takes up to 8+ minutes to print a picture like this one:

So, I'm looking for a printer that would be able to be used in conjunction with the A75 pretty well. I was thinking about getting the Canon i960, but I read that it prints black and white text very slow (I believe the "test document" took like 2 minutes). I want a printer that can print regular black and white text pretty fast (Like my printer, it doesn't take a long time to print up an essay), but also one that doesn't take a long time to print photos. So, which printer should I get. I'm currently thinking about the i960, but the fact that it takes a long time to print text isn't very appealing to me.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2

The best of both worlds: Go with the i860 OR its new replacement if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, the iP4000. This is a fantastic printer for all around photo printing as well as being geared as a business/text printer (22 pages per minute; or 25 ppm for the iP4000).

This sounds like the match for what you are looking to do.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:02 PM   #3

Is the i860 better than the i960? I wouldn't imagine that it would be beacuse it's a smaller number. So, why did you recommend the i860? Also, about the iP4000? Is it even out yet? How do these printers compare to the i960?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:14 PM   #4

The i960 is a six color unit geared just for photos. It uses Cyan, Magenta, Yelllow, PhotoBlack, PhotoCyan, & Photo Magenta.It does not have a dedicated text black (though can still print black with its photo black). It can rip out photographs very fast, but text is about 6 pages per minute.

The i860 is a 5 color printer that uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, and a dedicated text Black (dye). The i860 is one hell of a printer in terms of photo output. It won't quite match the i960 (due to its extra two photo colors) but it does come close. The advantage here is that it is adual unit, so it can do very fast black text output as well.

The iP4000 should be out this month. It is the replacement for the i860 that adds dual paper trays, duplexing, and a slick compact design. Well worth waiting for.

The iP 4000 will sell for $149.99. Though, you can probably get an i860 at the moment for around $100.00.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:25 PM   #5

How do you think the quality of printing photo would compare between the i860, i960, and the iP4000? I believe the i960 is supposed to be one of the best photo printers for it's cost, and I was looking forward to that, so I want to know how the iP4000 would compare.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:33 PM   #6

Well, if you look at the review above that Steve did on the new iP4000 along with it's new printhead, it actually beats out the quality of the i9100, which is pretty much a wide carriage version of the i960 (though the i9100 has a 4pl droplet vs the i960s 2pl). So.. I think the iP4000 is going to be a fantastic printer that's going to be very hard to beat once it hits the market.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:56 PM   #7

Hmm...in the Steve's post about his review it's mentioned that more printers like this one will be released in September. I'm probably going to buy everything (Digital Camera + Printer) for Christmas, so I might have to check out these new Canon printers that are going to come out next month.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:00 PM   #8

Bump - I don't know what to get now. The Canon Pixma iP4000, i960, or the new "iP" printers that were mentioned in the thread where Steve posted that he got a review of the iP4000.

(I plan on buying everything in December, so I don't know what new kinds of printers will come out)
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:06 PM   #9

Well hell. If you are buying in DECEMBER! I think you might as well wait until November before you start looking at printers!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:42 PM   #10

I thought it would be better to get started now.