Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:12 PM   #1

Can someone tell me what the best printer for black and white photos is? I just purchased the Canon i960 and I love the thing to death for my color fotos. But it does a pittiful job on black and white fotos. Seems that you could just put a gray ink cartrage in it and be done but I guess Canon doesnt think of those things when they are producing printers. So any help would be grately appreciated. And since I have my i960 I dont need an expensive color printer. Just black and white.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:23 AM   #2

The HP 7960 is the best printer for printing B/W photos out of the box at the moment, but as you don't want to buy another colourphoto printer, you might have a problem. You might want to consider returning the i960, and get the 7960. The 7960 also prints great colour photos.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:28 PM   #3

I was looking for a B&W printer a while back, and from what I read, the HP is the only one that does good B&W. THe thing about HP printers that keeps me away is the cost of the ink. I think if you buy all 3 ink tanks for the 7960 it came to a little over100 dollars. It uses 4 different tanks, one is a black, a grey, a tricolor and a tri color photo.

I have used my i860 for B&W a few times with workable results. I don't know of any B&W only printers.

Good luck and if you find one, let us know.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. I do not want to return my i960. Its a really great printer. And there is no way I am buying another color printer just for black and white prints. Surely there is black and white photo printer out there somewhere reasonably priced.

thanks again
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:52 AM   #5

The last thing I bought my HP7960 for was B/W photos, but I had an opportunity to take advantage of its "as advertized" good B/W printing when I borrowed some old (and some very, very old) family photos to scan.

Printed on HP Premium Plus Matte paper, these prints turned out stunning. To holda 100+ year old B/W photo in one hand, and in the other hand a scanned/reprinted version that looks like it was taken yesterday is simply amazing.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:09 AM   #6

Take a look at the HP 7760. It is a lower end version of the 7960.

It only holds two cartridges so you can put the Grey cart in and you get a dedicated B/W printer.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:21 PM   #7

A friend of mine has an Epson 2200 which has a special photo grey cartridge. I have been quite impressed with the B&W quality I've seen, but other than actual developed photographys I have nothing to compare to.

She does say it seems to suck up a lot of ink pretty quickly.

Lux.
----
iCanon.org - Canon i-series user group.
www.icanon.org
Luxum is offline   Reply With Quote