Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:12 PM   #1

I'd like to add my two-cents worth to the discussion concerning which photo printer to get. I have had my i9900 for several months now, and I just can't describe how much I love this printer. There are two major advantages of this printer over others: speed and picture quality. Many posts have mentioned the "vibrant" colors you see from the Canon, and I was initially concerned that this might mean "oversaturated" or "unnatural." Let me assure you that this is not the case. The colors from the i9900 are very natural and realistic- the photos just look like what I remember seeing through my viewfinder. Secondly, the speed of the printer is more than just a nice extra- it transformed the way I print pictures. For instance, with my old Epson 870, I found myself not printing all that often just because it was such a tedious process. It just took so long to do anything, I didn't use it much. Now I'm sure more recent Epsons are faster, but getting a perfect 13x19 in less than 3 minutes changes the equation. You'll use it more, and you'll enjoy it so much more. As for comparisons to the 2200, there's another poster who has both and plans on selling the 2200. I must admit the one fly in the ointment might be the longevity of the Canon's prints, but Wilhelm says 38 years (under controlled conditions), so that's pretty darned good. I wish Canon made an A3 matte paper, but I plan on trying some 3rd party papers as I've heard good things about several of them. (I apologize for this being in the photo inkjet forum, but it seems to me that many people look here to get info concerning the wide-carriage models too).
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:17 AM   #2

Do you know if Canon has archival ink that last 25 to 99 years available for the i9900?
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

Canon uses dye inks, and generally they don't last as long as pigments inks. But under glass, photos are rated to last in the 25-38 year range, using their recently improvedphoto pro glossy paper. I don't think anyone knows how long prints not exposed to daylight and not under glass will last. I think the general consensus is that you need to go with pigment inks if long-term stability is the major issue. As far as I know, there are no third-party pigment inks for the Canons.
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:06 PM   #4

Thanks, 25 to 38 years is good enough...I'll probably be outa here before the 38 comes up...:lol::-):lol:
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:30 PM   #5

RogerB wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, 25 to 38 years is good enough...I'll probably be outa here before the 38 comes up...:lol::-):lol:
Personally I plan on being around longer, but I will give anybody that asksa free reprint.:-)

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:53 PM   #6

i'd think i'd be around longer than 38 more years....but you could always reprint...as long as you keep your pictures stored in recent media...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote