Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:39 PM   #1
KJ

I just upgraded to a Nikon d-70 and I am looking for a high qualty photo printer. I presently use an epson photo 1280. I am looking to spend up to about 500..

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 2:40 PM   #2
Zal

What specifically are you looking for that your 1280 isn't providing?

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:12 PM   #3
KJ

As an update: I bought the Nicon D-70. The picture quality is much better than my olympus 4040...I am looking for photo studio quality printing. "High end" glossy prints, much like a photo service?.

cost should be under $ 1,000. Any suggestions?
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:11 AM   #4

If you are looking for a wide-carriage printer, I am most familiar with the Canon i9900 and the Epson 2200, both of which are capable of beautiful results. I think the Canon has the edge in brightness of color and image detail, while the Epson has longer print longevity, due to its pigment-based inks (the Canon uses dye inks). For someone who plans on selling their photos, the Epson's longevity might be very appealing, butthe Canon's photos should last years (just not as many years as the Epson). Some have complained of an odd reflection of light from their 2200 prints, so you should see some before you buy. I can vouch for the Canon in that it makes absolutely beautiful color photos, and the black and whites are great as well.The Epson is more expensive, retailing in the $6-700 range, where the Canon is around $450-500. Epson also has a far more varied range of papers available. HP also makes a large-format printer that I hear makes really good black and whites (as well as color), and I think its price is competitive.
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote