Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1

Hello, I've read thru the forums and have notfound anyabout printing from slides. I have some great ISO 50slides that I would like to print maybe with a inkjet printer. Hasanyone tried with success using the all in one scanner printers? I havea large collection of slides that I would like to make prints of. I've been looking at the Epson and Canon all in one units. If anyone has had luck doing this please let me know, Thanks,
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2

The Epson Stylus RX500, and RX600, have the ability to scan slides/negatives, and you can also print high quality photos. The RX600 has a 2.5 inch colour screen, so you can scan your slide, crop it, add effects, and print it, all without a computer. BTW, only scanners with a transparency can scan slides, and negatives.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 3:28 AM   #3

I've scanned some older slides using an Epson 1650Photo Scanner then printing them out on a Epson Photo820. Some of the slides were prety beat up before I got to them, but most of them needed some kind of color correction. It may be because they are probably 50 to 60 years old or more.

I've looked at the all in ones and have found some of them to be pretty good. I suggest you maybe look at a seperate printer and possibly a dedicated Slide/Film scanner if you have a lot to do. The scanners cost more, but they are easier to use for multiple slides. My Epson has a tray for 4 slides, then you have to save each one. So it can take a while to get them done.

Good Luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:24 PM   #4

I have a large collection of slides. After looking at some of the professional slide scanners (Nikon, Minolta, etc.) I didn't like the quality of the scans. I did some testing and research on flatbed scanners with photo attachments and was less than impressed until I came across the Epson 3200. At 3200x6400 resolution, it's better than many of the professional film scanners at 1/4 to 1/8 the price. I wondered about the productivity of using a flatbed scanner (one slide at a time) but ran across a good deal and just bought it.

I discoverd, to my delight, thatit has atray that holds slides or negatives (4 slides, 8 negatives in strips). When you used the automatic scan option (punch the button on the front), it detects it has transparencies, scans each one separately, and saves each one as a separate file. The quality of the automatic correction for color fad, specks, etc. is pretty amazing too.

I've been able to load up slides, hit the button, and go on working on something else. When it's done, I notice it's not making noise and reload the holder. For me, this is as fast as I can go.

I've looked at the transparency system on the Rx600, the current top of the line all in one. It's resolution is only 2400 x 4800 dpi. That's pretty good, but only a real test will tell if you're going to be happy with it. But I think you'll be pleased by the ease of operation when you go about scanning your slides. But if you have the space, look for an Epson Precision 3200. It's currently discontinued and should be getting cheap. Since it was an "pro" scanner, it comes with some software that you may or may not need. That's the main reason it was more than the 3170. But there is also a slight difference in the transparency light in the cover. IT's bigger on the 3200, and makes doing multiple slides or negatives in that automatic mode a better option.

The 3200 is in the epson clearence section of their web site for $299. Which means you should be able to find it for half that if you're a good bargain shopper.

It's by far the best scanner I've ever used. I've used it hundreds of times, scanning old color and b/w prints too. The color corrections the software will make automatically are better than my totally inexperineced attempts at using photoshop. I constantly get ouh's and aw's fromfriends and familywhen they see the before and after.

My printing is done on an Epson 925. It's my first true photo printer, and I've been very pleased with it. I even had fun printing from the 4" roll paper till it ran out. I thought it might be cheaper that way. Turns out that 4x6 paper is on sale so often I've never loaded another roll.

For those of you with space, consider getting a separate printer for your non-photo printing. I'm an epson fan. I started with a C80. Fast on the text and web pages. Very cheap on ink (3rd party ink's very cheap.) When my wife needed a printer, I gave it to her and got a C82 for myself to replace it. I know that seems pricy, but if you consider how much your photo quality ink conts, I got the c82 with a set of ink for less than a new set of cartridges for the 925. (yea, they are that cheap at bestbuy and other places.)

Well. I've been rambling on enough.
RicBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:04 PM   #5

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
I suggest you maybe look at a seperate printer and possibly a dedicated Slide/Film scanner if you have a lot to do.
And having a seperate scanner and printer would be more condusive to scanning and printing at the same time if there are a lot to do.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote