Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:21 PM   #1

I understand the i9900 should be able to do 8x10 borderless printing, but its specs indicate a 8.5x11 paper size, but not 8x10. Should this just be understood? Is there an option within Canon's printer software to select an 8x10 photo instead of 8.5x11?

I've just begin doing research, so I don't even really know whether photo paper is made in both 8x10 and 8.5x11 sizes.

Additionally, I was curious about print longevity. The Epson R800, for instance, boasts light-resistant inks of up to 80 years. I've also read posts on these forums that mentioned something about long-life paper (i.e., from Kodak). What has more influence on print longevity, the ink or the paper? Or both?

Thanks for any info.
Max Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:59 PM   #2

The i9900 can't print borderless 8x10 photos. What I do on my i960, is print an 8x10 photo on letter size paper, and cut it. Epson photo printers can print true borderless 8x10 photos. In print longevity, the paper has more influence, but the ink also plays a big part in making your prints last.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:10 PM   #3

The specs will show the readily available standard paper sizes. Maybe Canon haven't caught on that there is some 8x10 paper.You can set a custom size with a limit on length around 23"???.

Ink and paper influence longevity. Perhaps pigmentink makes paper less critical.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:13 AM   #4

Thanks for that info... Much appreciated.

I'm still leaning toward the i9900 just because I want a top-notch photo printer. I like the 8-cartridge feature, too... the difference in color quality over the i9100 was noticeable.

However, I'm up in the air about the Epson R800. I think I may prefer the Canon more.
Max Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote