Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1

Hello all -

I'm so glad I found this section of Steve's site (before I only new about the camera reviews). I've been planning to get the Canon i9900, but held off because I wasn't convinced I needed wide format, I was concerned that the b/w printing on the i9900 isn't super, and I'm concerned about its low rating for longevity.

Based on info I've now read, I'm thinking of getting the HP 7960, primarily for b/w photo prints. Then, in the next 6-12 months, if a new printer comes out that does everything I want and I get rid of the HP7960, I won't be out of pocket too much $.

Couple of questions (excuse me if the answers are here and I didn't absorb):

1> If I'm printing aphoto on the HP7960 in b/w, then do I need all the cartridges? Or only the #59?

2> I think the HP7960 was released in mid-2003. Is there a printer that is more recent (or soon-to-be-released) that equals or surpasses its b/w printing?

Thank you in advance -
Marion
mtpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:44 AM   #2

For B&W the 7960 is without question the best choice. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can use only that 1 cartridge in there. It will bug you about an ink reservation mode since it is the only cart, however it will print just as good as if the other 2 carts were in there.

2) The HP 8450 will be out the first week or so in October. It is an upgraded 7960 to use the "9x" series ink tanks among other things. The newcartshave more nozzles for much faster print speeds as well as a double yield color cartridge for the same price as the previous gen #57 so you save a great deal of money there. Otherwise, the printer will be back at $299 and the 99 photo and 100 gray photo are the same price/yeild as the previous 58/59. One very cool feature about the new Photosmart printers is they have a USB port in the front for bluetooth adapters or plugging in your USB flash drive and printing photos from it.

If you have a costco card and only want the printer for B&W just buy the 7960 - you can get them for $130-150 depending on your part of the country.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:13 AM   #3

Thank you for the feedback.

I explained all of my recent research to my dh this morning, and he wants to know why I can't use my excellent HP-5M Laser printer to print b/w photos.

Can I?

I mean, do I need a "photo printer" to print b/w photos, or will I get the same quality on a good laser printer, with the appropriate paper?

Thank you -

Marion
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4

Imagine taking a nice piece of paper and trying to make a picture out of light, medium and dark gray crayons. Now, take aother piece of paper and use the same 3 gray shades but use paints. Obviously the paints will look better.

That is the best analogy I can think of...anyway you need a liquid ink to absorb into paper so you do not see grain and the picture looks like an actual photograph. Not to mention that laser is what, 600x600dpi? You'll see a lot of grain in that and HP only makes a soft gloss and matte presentation paper for lasers...no photo papers.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5

No. Even at 600dpi, they look unnatural for photos.
I have printed BW lazer photos for fun and they have their place (wanted: dead or alive posters come to mind) but they are not like photographs.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:39 PM   #6

Thank you!

Marion