Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1

Hello.. I work at Best Buy and I usually work in the Printer department and I have these annoying Canon reps, they claim that you can get 300 prints (Highest quality) from one set of ink catridge from the canon i960. I know this isn't true because I have the i860 and I get no where near 300 4 by 6 prints with that. I just need to know about how many prints do you roughly get with one new set if ink catridge.
UrbanBoricua773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:06 AM   #2

125-150 is probably a fair bet. I can get through a 120pack of 4x6 Plus Paper on a set of ink although sometimes I will replace the PM and PC during that.

300 is an absolute joke.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:45 PM   #3

Thank you so much...I knew they were lying to me. :-)
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:27 PM   #4

The secret is probably in the image that they use. If it is the ISO/JIS-SCID No 5 with the bicycle, there seems a lot of white/off-white background.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:47 PM   #5

Talk to your area mgr. and get his ass kicked out of your store for lying. Or just tell him he recommended the customer NOT get PSP. That was always fun...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:38 PM   #6

I have had customers routinely tell me that they can go through a Canon 120 4x6 pack no problem before dropping out any cartridges. So at least 120. So I suppose it would be possible to drain an entire cartridge set close to 300 prints.

As for the Canon rep, if he is incorrect, why not just bring it up. Perhaps he is just mistaken on it is not a "lying" issue.

As for being "annoying" or getting them "kicked out" seems as the host, that's pretty rude. As long as they are good reps they are FREE employees generating sales and profit for YOUR company. Maybe something you do not care about, but I would think your management would.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:14 AM   #7

Mayhem -

Having worked on the BDS/Canon team, I saw many things encouraged that should not have been. Doing what I recommended usually gets a rep in check and they follow good ethical standards when being a guest at these retailers stores.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:19 AM   #8

"Or just tell him he recommended the customer NOT get PSP. That was always fun.."

I don't think the above statement is following "good ethical standards".

(for those not in the know, the "PSP" is the warranty in Best Buy. Recommending not to sell it can easily get an employee fired or a rep kicked out of a store)

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:12 AM   #9

Yea I talked with my manager about what he is doing, and he talked to him about it. I also did confront him but most Canon reps would stand by what they say/said. Canon reps use to be on commission and I don't know if they still are but these guys are vicious when it comes to selling. And also, these reps don't even recommend the PSP. It just I have customers come back in the store and complain about how they didn't get 300 prints out oftheir printerand all this other junk. But yeah..thanks for the tips guys. So I guess if they're doing the same thing this upcoming weekend I'm going to have to talk with my manager again.

Thanks again
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:53 PM   #10

I'm glad to see you're taking action on this, UB. I wish I had great customer service people at the Best Buy I go to, but I have yet to find any that take an active interest in doing what's best for the customer.

I know when most printer companies make statements on pages per minute they're basing that on things like all-text and 5-7% coverage. You should ask the Canon rep what % of paper coverage his 300 print claim is. Also what the content of the photo they used to test this claim...was it a picture of a snow bank? :-)

Side Note: Let us know if this changes his tune at all, or if he just keeps making these claims.

Lux.
----
iCanon.org - Canon i-series user group.
http://www.icanon.org
Luxum is offline   Reply With Quote