Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:14 PM   #1

Hello, I am planning on buying a new photo printer soon. I have narrowed it down to the Canon i900D or the Canon i960. I have a few questions.

From reading reviews and shopping around it seems these printers are very similar in print quality. Basically the 900d has a few more options on it like an LCD screen where the 960 is a faster printer with fewer options. Is this about right? And do they have the same print quality?

I plan on printing both digital photos, mostly 4x6, but I also will be printing a lot of text, either things off a web page or word documents.

The other thing im considering is waiting a short while. I think these printers came out over a year ago in 2003 and now we are moving into fall of 2004, and Im wondering if Canon has plans to release a new printer to replace on or both of these. I could not find any reports on this.

If Canon is going to replace these within a month or so I wouldn't mind waiting. I don't plan on buying a new printer every year so I want something that will last.

Also for buying ink I see one Canon retail cartrige is about 12 bucks which doesnt seem bad. But a place like inksell.com has a Compatible cartridge for about half that. Can you really tell a difference with that ink when printing photos?

Thanks for the help,
Dave
dave818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:51 PM   #2

The 960 hasmore nozzles than the 900 so it prints faster.

If you want to do text look at the i860, iP4000 or wait for the new ip5000. This printer will give you 1pL drop so it should (depending on if the paper can take it) give results like (or better than)an i900 in quality but the lower cost text of the i860/iP4000.

The iP5000 is due out in October (http://www.ephotozine.com/news/fullnews.cfm?NewsID=1726)

The i860, iP4000 and ip5000 printers have a 3 series black cartridge which is for text printing. This cart holds about 3x the ink of the 6 series but costs about the same as a single 6 series.

The entire ixxx line is being replaced with the Pixima and you can look at the Pixima thread here for some specs on them. Some are just like the older but are put in the new case that adds double sided printing and a dual (selectable) paper path.

I have an i860 and the photos are great out of it.Some people like the i860 photos better than the i900 prints because of the more balanced output.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 4:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, good info.

The thing I really like about the Europe versions of the IP series is the cd/dvd print option. Is there anyplace to order that to ship to the USA?

If the IP5000 prints at 1pL drop but has less colors than the IP6000D which will have a better output?
dave818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:07 PM   #4

dave818 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response, good info.

The thing I really like about the Europe versions of the IP series is the cd/dvd print option. Is there anyplace to order that to ship to the USA?

If the IP5000 prints at 1pL drop but has less colors than the IP6000D which will have a better output?
I hope some bootleg versions of the CD/DVD tray will appear here in the US (ebay??). I don't even want them for illicit purposes I shoot model portfolios and give them branded CDs of the photos I take.

The 1pL drop has a potential of making better or at least equil pictures than the IP6000 but the paper absorption is going to be a major factor.The initial paper may not be up to the stuff but to me it will probably be the better of the two.

The ultimate will be the iP8500 that will have 8 cartridges (like the i9900) this will create a more Kodachrome like picture (brighter reds/greens) this is a lot like the current use of Point and Shoot cameras vs Prosumer/DSLRs. Directly printed with no processing the IP8500 will have a better picture but with careful use the ip5000 will be able to do some stunning work.

All the above is big time IMHO.. I eagerly await Steve to be able to get some units and review them.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:15 AM   #5

has bootleg versions of Ip4000, IP3000 appeared? I checked ebay international and only Germany ships I965 that can print CD(pricy!!!!!)
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:30 PM   #6

I purchased the i9900 about a month ago and am absolutely awed by the image quality. Top notch! The higher price tag is more than worth it!
Plus perfect 13 X 19 prints!!
I'd like to say that I am speechless but I cannot keep my mouth shut about this incredible printer.
Awesome...
wyndstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:55 PM   #7

The Canon PIXMA IP5000 is available in newegg and ecost now. You can grab it if you're interested.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote