Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:50 AM   #1

Can anyone tell me the difference between Canon's bci3 and bci6 ink ? I see that the i860 and ip4000 use bci3 black ink and bci6 ink. The reason I am asking is because the printhead on my i850 is going bad and I have about 25 ink tanks of bci3 ink. I would hate to have it go to waste, and I have not been able to find a replacement printhead for my i850 in the USA, and buying overseas with shipping would cost as much as a new printer.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:34 AM   #2

From what I understand, and I cannot remember if it is the BCI-3 or BCI-3e black tank, but the black is pigment ink primarily used when printing text. The BCI-6 black is dye.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:51 PM   #3
rgd

I just called Canon (US) and they said the printhead for your i850 is available from their parts department.

Number from their website Contact Us page is

1-800-828-4040.

Maybe this will solve your problem.

Bob D
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:15 PM   #4

Hi,

I was told that the only difference between the two types is the compostion of the black ink as noted by the poster above.

I have an i850 also and my printhead died recently and i found that the i560 has the EXACT same printhead.(The i560 uses the bci6 inktanks). Rather than buy an 80+ dollar printhead from Canon, I bought a brand new I560 printer for 90.00 with a 30.00 rebate and used that printhead. (Plus i got ink to boot!) I have seen some of the printheads advertised on Ebay so I'll probably try to get another one there for the next time I might need one or to put in the i560 that is still sitting in its box! :-)
bearnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:53 PM   #5

I am in the process of doing the same thing to replace my failed i850 print head... bought an i560 but the question is do I use BCI-6 in the new print head on the i850 or do I use BCI-3e? If it is the same print head why different ink types for the two printers?
dmorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:51 PM   #6

The BCI3e inks (C,M,Y)and BCI6 (C,M,Y) are the same ink in different packaging. I was told this by a Canon Rep at Best Buy. They changed the packaging when they came out with the 6 ink printers so that they wouldn't have to have a bunch of different lines of inks. (So I was told) He said I could use either type of cartridge because the ink inside both was the same. Hope this helps.

bearnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:22 PM   #7
jq

I bought bci 3e cartridges for my 860i by not paying attention to the package. I didn't notice that the ones in want should be bci 6 except for the one black. I noticed that they were the same size and because I was out, went ahead and used. I can't tell any difference. I thought maybe the 6's had more ink? But seems like they both say the same. Where is the cheapest source of Canon OEM ink cart?
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:28 AM   #8

Here is a response I received from Canon in regard to using BCI-6 ink in an i850 printer

The print head is the same, however the way the printer interacts with the print head is different. Using the BCI-6 ink tanks in the i-850 printer will produce washed out prints. The colors will not as vivid as they arewhen using the BCI-34e series inks.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us orvisit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

Alexander G. Technical Support Representative Customer Information Centre Canon Canada Inc.

----------------------------------------------------

You wrote:

Can I use the BCI-6 dye based ink in the Canon i850? I understand that the i850 uses the same print head as the i560 which uses BCI-6 ink.

Would not the print head determine the ink type you can use?
dmorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:22 PM   #9

Assuming that calling the ink BCI-34e was just an honest typo. That answer seems to contradict another that I've seen claiming that the BCI-6 was slightly denser colour. If it were slightly denser colour, why would that result in washed out prints if used in place of BCI-3e. I could understand that reasoning if you wanted to use BCI-3e in a BCI-6 printer. The e does stand for enhanced compared to the older BCI-3.

I suspect that if and when BCI-7 gets released outside Japan, there might be some rationalisation of the Canon range and there won't be 3 series of ink in the same sized carts.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:06 AM   #10

Hi I manufacture inkjet ink so let me state one law of inks DON'T MIX INKS The BCI 3 Black ink IS PIGMENT based ( really only good for text) and will smear and blotch on gloss paper, plain paper is ok.

Either of theblack tankscan be usedwith either print head (If it fits , then use it) If you have a lot of photo work then get the Dye based ink for glossies. By the way you can flush out these tanks with water,there are three points to attack it from... The outlet hole, the refill hole, and the breather hole on top under the label in the middle of what looks like a paper clip. If you can't wash it out with all these helpful holes then don't give up your day job.

When you refill a tank hold a damp paper towel against the print head till the ink comes through. This will avoid an air bubble problem. When changing tanks , as one comes out...one goes in. You can also 'top up' without removing the tanks. Any info you would like please mail < magink@froggy.com.au >
gravityink is offline   Reply With Quote