Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:52 PM   #1

Need a little help. I'm looking for a new photo printer for my office where we print out a lot of digital pics for people to take home. We can average 50-100 8x10s a month. I was seriously considering the R800, as i have a R200 and really like the output. I looked at the i9900, but had a few concerns with longentivity, etc. I know they're pretty close in quality, but I think i prefer the pigment-based inks.

I read that one of the new Canon Pixmas will do pigment-based inks. Is it the IP5000? Or does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Gendibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:18 PM   #2

All the Pixmas are now on Canon's site so you can check out the specs. All photo Canons use the same cartridge series (6 series no pigment inks).

If you like the Epson use the Epson. If you like the Canon get the Canon.

Print life is as good on an Canon as film prints were and if you use the Kodak paper it is the same as the Epson (100 year)

The R200 is not the same ink as the R800, it is closer in formulation to the Canon ink. So if you like it you will probably like the Canon.

Look at the quality of the i9900 and compare it to the R800 before deciding. I like the i9900 a lot better. The coming soon i8500 will have this quality with a smaller footprint.

Print life used to be a big deal now it doesn't mean as much. So judge the printers on ease of use, cost ofoperation and duribility. Both Epson and Canon make a fine product but the speed of the printing on the Canon may be important to you (100 prints per day can add up).

Good luck...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:35 PM   #3

no none of the canon's will use pigment based inks. R200 and all the canons use dye based inks.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm pretty sure none of the canon photos last 100 years. The pigment inks not only have great lightfastness but also are far more water resistant.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"With the 9900 you get a wide format printer. The r800 will print better. But not by much. I mean you really have to look really close to tell.
krzydzi is offline   Reply With Quote