Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:31 PM   #1
rgd

I bought a Canon i960 a few days ago, and I'm very happy with it. I've been running a bunch of paper through it to get an idea of paper profiles, responses, etc ($$$). I had a half dozen 8.5x11 Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy sheets sitting drying (curing?) after that session, and noticed a distinct acetic acid odor.

Then I ran some tests. The acetic odor only occurs with PPPG, but not with Canon or Epson's Matte Photo Paper, plain paper, or Epson's Photo Quality IJ Paper. (I used up the little pack of Epson glossy Pro and it dried before I noticed this, so I don't know about that one.)

It is very similar to the odor from Corning's silicone sealer and its relatives. As I understand it, that's the smell of acetic anhydride, which has a role in curing the sealer.

Before I ran my tests, I thought it might be the ink, and asked Canon about it, as well as looking at the MSDS's for the inks (they said they'd refer it to a higher level of support and get back to me - ahem). But now it's obvious it's something in the paper coating.

Actually, Epson's paper gives off a musty smell when it's wet with this ink, and Canon's Matte gives off a smell faintly like formaldehyde. (I worked in a chem lab for 24 years, so I'm familiar with the odors.)

Anybody else notice this?

Bob D
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:37 AM   #2

I have noticed this also with my i9100 and S800 before that with the Photo Paper Pro and Photo Paper Plus Glossy. But what I have noticed is that the papers have the smell to them even before you print on them but it does get a little stronger once the ink has dampened the paper.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:40 AM   #3
rgd

Hey, you're right! I just sniffed the unused pack and the smell's there. It must have an ink-drying function; I can't think of any other reason to have a paper with this odor - certainly Epson doesn't.
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 8:58 AM   #4

I read that Canon is using alumina as the ink absorbsion coating, instead of silica. I smelled it on Photo Paper Pro, and Plus Glossy, but not glossy photo paper, which has been coated with silica, not alumina.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

This is how Canon makes you think these prints are just like silver prints - smells just like my darkroom.

Epson Glossy doesn't have the smell.

Kodak Premium [sic] Glossy smells like Potato Starch when wet from the ink - takes about 6 hours to go away.
mark.huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:15 AM   #6

Yes, the Canon paper stinks, and stinks more after it's been printed on. However, the smell soon goes and Canon paper gives far better results (on my IP4000) than any of the Epson papers. The colours are very close to what I see on screen and the output is bright and vibrant. With the Epson papers, colours are way out and printouts are dull.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote