Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm new here and found your site when looking for reviews on canon ip4000 and i900d. I'll be printing both pictures and text equally.I noticed that the ip4000 and i900d both print color at 4800x1200 dpi. While the i900d prints black and white at 4800x1200, the ip4000 at only 600x600dpi. Overall with rebates and coupons I could buy the i900d for $100 or the ip4000 for $150. Is there a difference in photo and text quality based on the ip4000 new ContrastPLUS ink tank system? And in terms ofink cost, which ischeaper if youprint both pics/text equally? Which is the better printer. PS- I can't find any pictures to compare the two printers but if you have any pics/or links that would be great.

Thanks so much:|
flips712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

I have both printers. The i900d prints better photos (IMHO) with better colour and contrast, but the ip4000 is faster, can duplex, and has the big black ink tank for text printing. I expect the ip4000 is cheaper to run, although I haven't had to replace the ink tanks in it yet. Both are fairly thrifty )

mathboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:51 PM   #3

If you are planning to do a lot of printing, I'd also look at the IP5000. It uses smaller drops to replace the PC and PM tanks. Using a magnifying glass I can't tell the differnce between its output and the Kodak kiosk dye sub. output. In both cases the colors look good. I really enjoy the full duplex mode since its replacing a lazer for regular desktop use. Can't comment on its speed since its on a UBS 1.1 line and the printer supports a USB 2 line so the printer is waiting for input on pictures often. I've got a duplicate print in the window to check for fading and nothing for a month, but we've swapped weather with Seattle (I'm outside LA) so its been overcast and rainy. Got a great deal on photo paper at Big Lots (60 ea. Hammermil 4x6 for $3) but that was a single box. I keep going back but they don't have any more.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote