Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:29 PM   #1

I'm using 8 1/2 x 11 paper from my wife's office.

I just noticed that all greyscale (I have the box checked in Printing Preferences) are coming out that old faded photo color (greenish/sepia). Could this simply be the paper?

When I print a nozzle check, the black/grey looks like it should.

I did notice that on printing preferences, you can't select monochrom affects (sepia, blue, green, etc.) if greyscale is checked. It seemed coincidental that the sepia/monochrome selection was greyed out (i.e. can't select) and it IS printing b/w as sepia.

JL

JimLewandowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:34 PM   #2
Zal

A few things to check:

What paper are you using? Some paper (especially cheap stuff) has a yellow-color cast, and I can see that imparting a brownish/sepia look to an otherwise B&W image.

Also, make sure that you are not out of black ink. If you are, it will try to recreate black by mixing other colors, which could impart a color cast.

If grayscale is checked, then it only uses the black ink cartridge, which is why the other options are grayed-out.

Try it print out on Canon Photo Paper Pro. If the problem disappears, then it's the paper.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:15 AM   #3

The same thing with my brand new i960.
reviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4

I've checked everything. IOW, all ink tanks are OK, ran nozzle check and the upper left grid DOES look sepia, yet the A and F blocks ARE black/grey like they should be.

Canon has said "there may be something wrong with the document" causing it to print sepia. I don't see how when the greyscale box is checked. IOW, it is the printer driver that determines how things print, NOT the document.

On said webprint (4 pages), there are WHOLE lines that are greyscale, butthere are a few lines above and below that are sepia. IOW, the whole document is not sepia, but the vast majority is. Where things DO print in greyscale, the WHOLE LINE is greyscale.

JL

Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:00 AM   #5
rgd

I was just running some checks the other night on this same thing. My Epson Stylus Color 740 gives a good grays, but takes 4 minutes to print a 5x7 at 1440 dpi (and leaves horizontal streaks at 720 dpi).

The grayscale color on the i960 (and presumably the i950) depends on (1) the paper used and (2) the Media Type selected on the Main tab. Got the following results printing a 5x7 scan of a 35mm Plus-X negative, totally desaturated (paper/Media type/color cast):

1-Plain paper/plain paper/pretty good gray
2-Canon matte/plain paper/very slight magenta cast
3-Canon matte/hiresolution paper/slight green-blue cast
4-Canon matte/matte photo paper/fairly good gray, very slight trace magenta
5-Canon matte/glossy photo paper/medium magenta cast
6-Photo paper plus glossy (PP+G)/plain paper/same as #5
7-PP+G/glossy photo paper/same as #5 & #6
8-PP+G/matte photo paper/slight green-blue in highlights, slight magenta (lighter than #2) in shadows.
9-PP+G/high resolution paper/slight green-blue cast, less than #3.

Didn't check PP+G as PP+G or as Photo Paper Pro, or Epson's Photo Quality Inkjet paper, or other combinations. There are limits to my funds.

Turning the "Identify paper type" on or off in the Custom Settings under the Maintenance tab in the driver has no effect. Likeways, "Grayscale printing" in the main tab has no effect on or off.

Also there's no difference in printing an 8-bit grayscale image, converting it to 24-bit RGB and desaturating it, converting it to RGB and then to Lab format and printing the L channel or similar maneuvers. Obviously the data being sent in all cases is straight black ink data, but the firmware or software insists on overriding a simple "print black", except on plain paper printed as plain paper.

rgd
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:38 PM   #6

See my post above re: some lines on a greyscale webpage print ARE pure grey. IOW, looking at the grey print next to the sepia print on the same page shows how the sepia isobviously NOT greyscale. Strangely, ifI print the same webpage over and over, the lines that come out pure greyscale on print #1, happen on print #n. It's 100% consistent.

JL