Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:58 AM   #1

What are the difference(s) between the iP4000 and iP5000, other than the 1 pl and 2 pl droplet size?
MikeCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

Also, what about the ip6000d, a printer that reads all the cards and lets you see and alter the images from the LCD screen on the printer. Does the amount of nozzles make a huge difference? If it does, the i960 has over 3000 compared to a little over 1800 on the ip4000 and ip5000. the ip6000d has a little over 1500. Am getting a printer in OCT, and I am just a weekend photographer, but want the ability to produce a great picture if the opportunity is there.....Thanks

Bill
wharrisIU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

As far as all the specs that is the difference.

But it is (potentially)a big one. 1pL could make pictures that are as good or better than the 2pL 6color units and give you the big black cart for everyday text. Which is probably why the price is higher than the 6 color units.

The questions will be how well the printer works in real life, head clogging and paper absorption could lessen the potential of it. Canon has done pretty well at addressing these problems so far so I have a lot of hope for it.

Oh one other difference the 4000 has a version (ip4000R) with a built in 802.11 adapter.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:08 PM   #4

The more nozzles is for speed. It can make it faster but doesn't give it any more resolution (at least the way Canon works it).

The iP4000 is the replacement for the i860
the ip6000d is the replacement for the i900d
the ip8500 is the upgraded replacement for the i960
the iP5000 is somewhere between the i960 and i8500 (in theory)

The way I am reading the specs the difference (iP5000/ip8500)will be more personal than actual. The ip8500 will produce more Kodak/Fuji like prints slightly exaggerated on the Red/Green to make a more punchy picture. The ip5000 will be more true to life since it will have a balanced color rendering.

Both have uses.

I'm not into the screen and reader printers myself. I am too much of a control freak to allow a printer to do the processing on my pictures.:-)
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote