Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:41 PM   #1

I've been using two of the Pixma IP5000 to print both text as well as photos and in a word, these are outstanding. Photos from 8 MP camera printed at 8 x 10 size are the best I've ever seen from a photoprinter. In addition, text quality is as good as a 600 dpi laser printer, speed is exceptional for both text and photos, duplex printing is easily accomplished, two paper trays are included and the driver software (at least for Macintosh OS X) works flawlessly and has more options than I know what to do with. For example, in duplex printing, you have the option of shifting margins depending on how you are planning to bind or staple the output (side or top), page size can be reduced, etc. etc. It even has a "quiet" mode (not that it is a noisy printer) which can be set to be automatically activated and deactivated at certain times. Bottom line...speed and quality of both photo and text are hard to describe.

The only negatives I can think of are a) the paper trays will only hold about a 100 sheets of 28 lb paper and b)the printer is so light that it "shakes" laterally when printing.

In summary, for the price and the fact that cartridges are available separately for each color (as low as USD 8.95 each online, Canon OEM), operating costs will be much lower than the color inkjets I've used in the past. And photo printing is just superb.

Spend the little extra to get the IP5000 over the IP4000. You'll appreciate the difference. Better yet, take a Pictbridge compatible 8 MP camera to a decent office supply store and print the same image twice on the IP4000 and IP5000 on the same paper, and see for yourself.

I have no affiliation with Canon, etc. I just can't believe that my decidedly amateur photographic skills are generating prints worth framing and my Excel spreadsheets in a 100 page Word document printed with duplex printing looks so much more professional.
ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:08 PM   #2

Hi,

Does the IP5000 print borderless photos in 5x7 and 8x11, like the IP4000?
wharrisIU1 is offline   Reply With Quote