Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:04 AM   #1

Hi,

recently 'upgraded' to R200 (same as R300 minus offline printint).

Using Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper (255gsm2), Epson inks and matching media type, Photoshop with Grey Gamma 2.2 source space, Printer Colour Managament in destination colour space, I get greenish/magenta subtle cast on monochrome prints. Ouch!!

Then tried using 'Grayscale' ticked in driver panel, still gets a cast on the same paper.

Then tried only Adobe colour management, turned it off in driver - the image is a bit more contrasty, but by no means neutral.

The funny thing is: on lightweight, lower-end glossy Epson paper with same settings (hence media type is clearly not a match) does a more neutral print! But using that curly paper is not an optionfor exhibition etc.

Then tried the most controlled thing I could think of:

- Ilford Classic Pearl paper

- Epson ink

- Ilford ICC profile specifically for that paper andfor the R200/R300 printer

- exactly the settings they recommend in Photoshop

Result: even worse cast, but colour is brownish - so it's not a nozzle or head issue, as that would be a) dramatic cast, b) same-ish colour on both papers.

Utterly frustrating - as usually with printer brand-tuned manufacturer ICC profiles for specific matching paper tends to work very well.

What puzzles me: using the non-scientific 'dumb' settings of driver for colour management plus Epson ink + paper, older models did a wonderful job on monochrome.

So going so drastically backwards with R200 is very very frustrating. After triple-checking with other digital darkroom guys the setting, all OK, I contacted Epson.

They said maybe use the Photoquicker application instead of Photoshop to print. Surely, this can't be a solution - since when does Photoshop mess up colour management? That would be that day :-))

Any tips? this is now turning into an obsession because there might be something nuts in driver or ... did anybody else experience the above?

Many thanks in advance.

levente is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #2

hey, i have the rx500, and i'm a weekend epson rep. I have had the same problem with all the printers that use that ink. It always comes out a little too greenish on premium glossy paper. I still havn't been able to find a solution for it but if you do post it.
krzydzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:05 AM   #3

Hi, thanks, that sounds depressing :-))

Any other glossy paper + ink combinations that one can use? Maybe only solution is to start experimenting with adding magenta in driver settings, but that can take a looooong time and pull all my hair out. What gets me, older models were not this terrible, and this seems to be a backward step on R200/R300...

Ah well... keeping hopes up :-)

Cheers

Levente
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:31 AM   #4

Hi,

I have a favor to ask. I recently purchased a R300, but the software did not come in the box. Would you send me a copy of Film Factory 3.0 that came with your R200? I'll reimburse you for the shipping expense.

Thanks.
cwodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5

Hi,

oops. My R200 bought in the UK only contains: Photo Quicker, Image Framer, PIF designer and PrintCD + manuals.

Maybe elsewhere they sell Film Factory? as I can't find it on my CD at all;

cheers

Levente
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:32 AM   #6

Hi,

Since the Epson is using all of the inks to produce a monochrome image, you will always have some sort of color cast. (Another possibility is check "black only", and the printer will use only the black ink, but the photo will have less contrast and is flat).

I have the epson rx600 (which is using the same ink as the r200 i believe?!) and after many trials and errors I am satisfied with the following settings:

-Epson premium with the ICC profile for Premium glossy (this is NOTthe'print color management" selection, but a specific profile for premium glossy paper)selected in Photoshop), Perceptual intent, and black point compensation ON
-In the printer driver tabI use Paper type, of course, epsonpremium glossy.
-In the printer driver advanced tab I use ICM and Color management OFF

Remember: you will always have some sort of cast, but you can get close to a beautiful black & white print.

Let me know if this helps, or if you found a new and better setting in the meantime.

Regards, Jochem

jschone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:04 PM   #7

cwodavid wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have a favor to ask. I recently purchased a R300, but the software did not come in the box. Would you send me a copy of Film Factory 3.0 that came with your R200? I'll reimburse you for the shipping expense.

Thanks.

Film Factory 3.0 does not ship with someEpson printers, or at least it seems the case in the U.K. Wasn't with my R300 and levente didn't receive one either. I'm afraid you may have to buy it, one place you can is:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...&oid=-8235

or here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...ck&vid=All

But i'm sure there are many more places.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote