Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:47 PM   #91

Hi AlvinLee and Azzkikr1337,

This is my Christmas present.

I have a US Pixma IP3000 and I've been looking for the same answer you have been working for. I have the Asia driver with CD-R Tray option available up and running with my US printer. I just need some help to finish the job.

So follow these steps.

1.- Make sure you write down the port you are using for your Pixma Printer.

3.- Turn Off and Unplug the Pixma printer

4.- Uninstall the US printer driver via Add & Remove Programs.

5.- Make sure everything is erased, meaning:

c:\BJprinter

c:\Windows\inf\oem31.inf (in my case, make sure is yours)

c:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\canonip30 00 (in my case, make sure is yours)

6.- Install the Asian driver (English) that we know has the CD-R Tray Option.

7.- During install choose to select the port yourself.

8.- Select an unused port (LPT 1 in my case).

9.- Don't restart the computer as asked. At this point you can check to see the CD-R Option is available. It should be.

10.- If everything is OK, restart the machine.

11.- Check again to see if the CD-R Option is available. It should be.

12.- Change the port of the printer to the one you will be connecting it. (You wrote it down earlier) (USB 1 in my case).

13.- Connect the printer and turn it on. Check again to see if the CD-R Option is available. It should be.

14.- Only when you send some document to the printer it will finish to install some driver files including some Registry settings. In this process the driver checks your printer and if it is a US model it eliminates the CD-R Option. Print something from Word or Excel and see for yourself. The CD-R Option is NOT available anymore.

ONLY CONTINUE WITH THE NEXT STEP IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

15.- No Problem. Run REGEDIT and go to "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Pr int\Printers\Canon PIXMA iP3000\PrinterDriverData]". Now change "CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH" value to "1". Close REGEDIT.

NOW you have the CD-R tray option available for ever.

I made a CD-R Tray out of simple cardboard about the thickness of a disc. Opened a hole to accommodate the CD to be printed. Glued a paper in the back to protect the disc from scratching. Glued two squares of aluminum foil to make up for the reflectors. All the dimensions and positions were made as best as I could looking to the available pictures.

I began making some tests. It is at this point that I need some help.

Catch up with me to see if we can finish once and for all this issue.

nelsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:47 PM   #92

Nelsonb, you found the CDRswitch in regedit. Excellent. I couldn't find it. How were you able to find it through so many choices? I went the path of hardware and ended up nowhere. Anyways I had already installed the England drivers on my US IP4000 printer, so I simply regedited the CDrSwitch to 1 and all the CD-R options appeared.

I ran the EZ label printer, picked a label, and when print came, I selected Printable Disc:media and Disc Tray: PaperSource and CD-R trayB: PageSize.

I have the actual CD tray, so I placed it with a disc into the inner tray and matched up the arrows and clicked to start print.

I waited awhile and I got "Printing cannot be executed because the Inner Cover is open. Close the Inner Cover, and then press the RESUME button on the printer. Printing will restart."

Is this where you got stuck? Are we on the same page now?

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:08 PM   #93

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
Nelsonb, you found the CDRswitch in regedit. Excellent. I couldn't find it. How were you able to find it through so many choices? I went the path of hardware and ended up nowhere. Anyways I had already installed the England drivers on my US IP4000 printer, so I simply regedited the CDrSwitch to 1 and all the CD-R options appeared.

I ran the EZ label printer, picked a label, and when print came, I selected Printable Disc:media and Disc Tray: PaperSource and CD-R trayB: PageSize.

I have the actual CD tray, so I placed it with a disc into the inner tray and matched up the arrows and clicked to start print.

I waited awhile and I got "Printing cannot be executed because the Inner Cover is open. Close the Inner Cover, and then press the RESUME button on the printer. Printing will restart."

Is this where you got stuck? Are we on the same page now?

I'm stuck there too
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:50 PM   #94

I'm stuck there.

I thought the problem was with my home made CR Tray. But if AlvinLee tested with the original one, it seems to me that there has to be another switch in the registry to be changed because it is working as if the "inner cover" is out of use.

I'm pretty sure that the firmware is only telling the driver where's the printer from so the driver can or cannot change the specific values in the registry to allow or not the CD printing.

So at this point it is only a matter of finding the specific value to change in the registry.

It could be of much help if someone with a European of Asian printer posts the registry settings of his computer so we can compare and find that switch.

AlvinLee, can you post a picture of your CD Tray with the important dimensions so we can make a home made one as close as possible?
nelsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:59 AM   #95

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the firmware is only telling the driver where's the printer from so the driver can or cannot change the specific values in the registry to allow or not the CD printing.
Maybe it's the software. I noticed if I place the CD tray below the inner tray and bypass it and raise the inner tray, with all the settings at Printable Disc, Disc Tray, Cd trayB; it would instead take paper from my catridge. In other words, my EZ label software only has settings for A4 and letter size, so even when my printer preferences are properly set at Printable Disc, Disc Tray, Cd trayB; the EZ label software overides it and needs to feed paper from the cartridge.

I think most CD label software doesn't have settings for printable discs. So it doesn't understand the setting in the printer preferences and probably overides it. I'll see if I can get the Canon disc I was promised and confirm this.

In the meantime, I think we already have the best solution possible. Make your own CD tray 13.1mm X 19mm. Now with nelsonb's input we can set the media settings to Printable Disc. I think we have a 100% solution here.

Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:14 PM   #96

I'll be getting the Canon disc with CD-LabelPrinter software tomorrow so we'll see if it's the software. But at this point it's only exercise to see what it's all about.

Inner bypass with your DIY tray is the best way to go. Advantages are:

1. You can use any software you want. Just make sure the label aligns through the inner tray when you print.

2. You will always align the disc perfect because of your DIY paper tray.

I'm thinking an even simpler tray is not even a tray but a DIY paper slider. To make one:

1. Print a letter size or A4 label aligned to go through the inner tray.

2. Refeed the letter size paper into the cartridge. Reprint with envelope media setting , lift the top lid as the paper feeds. You will see the paper stop with the label print about an inch past the white rollers.

3. Cut a 13.1mm X 14.9mm paperboard. Lower the inner tray and slide the paperboard through until it meets the white rollers. Mark exactly where the quarter moon of the CD label is sticking out on the letter size paper. To make it easier, mark the sides and later place a CD over the markings and outline it and cut out your quarter moon hole. You now have you moon slider!

Now place the printable disc on the inner tray and use your moon slider to push your disc all the way through past beneath the white rollers until your moon slider meets the white rollers. That's it, you disc is aligned. Remove moon slider, close inner tray, close top lid. You printer will now print your disc.

Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:03 AM   #97

You can download the drivers for the Japanese Pixmas here:

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/bjwxp-180.html

I downloaded one for the IP4100R and after adding a bogus printer under Windows XP and manually pointing it to the driver I just downloaded (the IP4100R), I tried to print and the driverwas entirely in English AND showed CDs as a selectable media type.

So English drivers are not a concern for those wondering about importing Japanese models...whether or not the DirectCD software can be got in English is something I am trying to determine.
BaronByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:11 AM   #98

Hey guys, I just joined the forum to get in on this subject. I just got the iP5000 for Christmas and was angrywhen I found out that the UK version does the Direct CD/DVD printing. Just thought I'd let you guys know that using the registry tweak posted before gave me the cd printing options in the Media Type pull-down. It seems as though it is not a firmware problem afterall. Canon is a big company out to make money like everyone else and as you can imagine, it's cheaper to install a small piece of plastic and use a registry DWord than it is to code seperate firmwares and change the inner workings of the hardware.I thank the poster for posting this tweak.Wish I had a tray to try it with. Anyone got an extra one they're willing to send me?

By the way, the registry tweak can be used WITHOUT installing drivers from another country or uninstalling the ones you have. Just run regedit, go to the listed folder and either add the named DWord or change the existing hex to 1 and BAM it works!

When you select Printable Disk it states that "Paper Source: Paper Feed Switch is not available for the selected media type. Paper Source setting has been changed to Disc Tray." And it does actually change the source to Disk Tray. Someone with a cd tray (real or makeshift) please try this!!! You can select CD-R tray B as page size and everything !!!

JinxTwitchyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:59 AM   #99

I was testing the inner bypass witha paper slider and a used regular CD and noticed the CD would slip quite often during printing. For some reason I did not have this problem with the printable Ritek discs. So I'm thinking maybe the paint on the top of CD's create more grip on the upper rollers. That could also be why Azzkikr wasted a lot of his discs. I noticed the Ritek printable dics white surface is much smoother than some others.

If this is the case than Yvonneb's paperboard tray may be necessary. I'm guessing paperboard should be the brown uncoated side on the bottom to grip the paper and smooth coating on top. Or Yvonneb's glued paper at the bottom of the board seems to provide good grip to the paper that's being fed through.

Changing of the registry at this point doesn't really help much because most software is not adjusting to the printer preferences properly. My friend has the Canon disc but forgot to bring it today. I should get it tomorrow.

Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:51 PM   #100

I have been following this topic with much interest - I just bought my IP4000 last Sunday - at Staples for $120. What a fantastic job it does on photos.

AlvinLee - I have been following the posts on making a template, then forcing a CD/DVD into the mechanism lined up with the template. I have a concern about jamming the dvd plus holder under the white rollers. It seems to take a lot of force to get it in and hard to line up. Maybe one made out of thin plastic sheet (model building material) would be sturdier, but the forcing in would still be there.

nelsonb & JinxTwitchyboo - editing of the Registry file looks like a possible solution. Editing the CnmFSI_CDRSwitch to "1" makes printable media show up - also works fine with the US Driver version as noted. But, of course, we get the tray door is down error message. There must be another Registry entry that overrides that for printable media. We need an Asian, European or Australian owner of a PIXMA to post a screen print of their registry values for the printer. Also, what happens if they lower their CD tray drawer and try to print to regular media - do you get a tray down error message. Think it would have to so the print could get through. Since it seems that the CD tray is pulled back in when it is loaded, some function of the duplex printing option must come into play.
Also, I noted on a picture of the CD tray installed in a printer on another thread, there appears to be rollers on the piece in place of the section we remove from the door. Wonder if these are just there to help guide the tray into place?

One comment - one of the times that I was uninstalling/re-installing various flavors of print drivers I hit a situation where my cardboard test tray was pulled back into the machine and printing started, but the print head hung up on the edge of my test tray with a grinding noise - was afraid I may have damaged the print head, but didn't. I was never able to repeat this operation again.

Although I would very much like to be able to print onto DVDs with this printer, I think I will wait until we get some better info on possible registry value solutions. I don't really want to be forcing DVDs into the mechanism. Thin paper labels have worked fine for me so far - will continue that until some better resolution happens.
But lets keep investigating.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote