Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:39 AM   #991

According to http://www.partsnow.com/contact.aspParts Now is based in Madison, WI. The "Maple Leaf" thing on the home page says something about deals being offered to Canadian companies.
CalebAndCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:20 PM   #992

When I called Parts Now, they asked where I was (SC) and transferred me to their sales out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I went ahead and ordered one without asking about shipping, so we'll see if they deliver. Meanwile, my modified Epson works just fine.

Later, - Lew
Brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:01 PM   #993

Total with COD shipping for three trays was $25.00, so shipping is not expensive at all.

Quote:
I have 2 available now, 32 coming in on Tuesday and 68 coming in on Friday. Set price of $35 dollars, I accept all CC cards and Paypal. Shipping is free. Yes I will have 100 trays as of next Friday. Currently 2 on hand so if you need it now. I ship Priority mail.
This is why they are probably backordered, You guys are getting taken for a ride by these sellers. There just doing you a great service :roll:and making alot of money off you!

bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:27 PM   #994

bigman wrote:
Quote:
Total with COD shipping for three trays was $25.00, so shipping is not expensive at all.

This is why they are probably backordered, You guys are getting taken for a ride by these sellers. There just doing you a great service :roll:and making alot of money off you!
How much to ship just one... that's the question.

Given the fact that it's a $5.00 part shipped overseas... given the fact that Parcel Post is going to cost at least $20.00 for 1 in a box or 10 in a box, and given the fact that the demand is high i'd say $30.00 is fair and reasonable.

While $8.00ish is good... unknown shipping per unit (another $8.00 perhaps). They don't have them. $35 shipped while being well twice the price is for people who have them that will ship them in a resonable fee. Sub $20 might get you one past september, where sub $40 will get you one early Augest.

And I'm not selling any... and have no vested interest in any of the respective e-bay sellers.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:58 PM   #995

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
bigman wrote:
Quote:

How much to ship just one... that's the question.

Given the fact that it's a $5.00 part shipped overseas... given the fact that Parcel Post is going to cost at least $20.00 for 1 in a box or 10 in a box, and given the fact that the demand is high i'd say $30.00 is fair and reasonable.

While $8.00ish is good... unknown shipping per unit (another $8.00 perhaps). They don't have them. $35 shipped while being well twice the price is for people who have them that will ship them in a resonable fee. Sub $20 might get you one past september, where sub $40 will get you one early Augest.

And I'm not selling any... and have no vested interest in any of the respective e-bay sellers.

COD shipping is more expensive than regular shipping. I had them ship COD since I had no Credit card. Shipping for one would probably cost around $2.00. Where the heck do you get $8 for shipping when for 3 shipped COD it was less than $5??

Do you really bebieve these guys selling just the tray are ordering them from overseas? If so, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you in London:lol:

So, it's approx $9.00 vs $35 which is almost 4x as much.

Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:52 PM   #996

bigman wrote:
Quote:
COD shipping is more expensive than regular shipping. I had them ship COD since I had no Credit card. Shipping for one would probably cost around $2.00. Where the heck do you get $8 for shipping when for 3 shipped COD it was less than $5??

Do you really bebieve these guys selling just the tray are ordering them from overseas? If so, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you in London:lol:

So, it's approx $9.00 vs $35 which is almost 4x as much.
approx... you don't know. I get $8.00 by dividing your figure by three... and the fact that to ship a .01 pound package via UPS three zones will cost $6.77. I would say that my estimate based on your information is a heck of alot closer to reality than your estimate of $2.00. UPS Parcel Post is $6.50 Plus a box and packing material... 8 bucks sounds fair.

But you are correct, I didn't think it through.. you see COD costs $5.00 more than regular postage via usps... or $9.50 more via UPS. So you either spent $20 or $15.50 to ship a sub pound package. So either the cost to ship is going to be about $8.00 bucks. $15.00 bucks, or $20 bucks making the total cost about $16, or $23, or $28. Or... They charged you the shipping rate for one unit three times which would just so happen to be... $5.16 or $6.66 . which would be $15ish

vs $30 or $35

But yes... I believe these guys are ordering them from overseas. Probally because many have asked ME where to buy them, and I tracked down many shops on Hong Kong and Japan which sell them. Just like I believe partsnow is ordering them from overseas as canon usa does not have any in america. This would explain why they are back ordered until september where the epson trays are only back ordered for 1 week.

But that's not the point, the question is how much would it cost to ship just one. Sure one of these e-bay folk will cost you $30 to $35, but as I said that'll get you in in early Augest... not some time after september.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:08 PM   #997

At first I thought bigman was a messenger from partsnow.com. New username and all looks funny. I emailed Canon about partsnow selling the trays and they said it was ok for them to sell the trays.

Quote:
Dear Digiguy:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.Although Canon USA does
not manufacture printers that use the CD/DVD printing feature, some
other sales divisions do have this feature available.Therefore,
PartsNow is stocking the trays for any of the overseas model printers
that may need a replacement.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Canon knows better than that. They know about this forumand arelettingit go on "underground" so why don't they just come out with a retro fit kit to allow all the NA printers to work?

Partsnow have been lurking here and saw a great opportunity. I checked with them weeks ago and they did not carry the tray. Go figure...

Comments?
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:38 PM   #998

No, they don't stock the trays. They order them as needed for their customers. I in no way work for the company. Since this site helped me get my printer working I thought I'd pass on the info on how & where to get the trays for much less than you guys are paying on EBay.

But since you think "I" have other motives, go on paying too much for them. I got mine cheap, too bad for you.

I'm done here.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:14 PM   #999

bigman wrote:
Quote:
No, they don't stock the trays. They order them as needed for their customers. I in no way work for the company. Since this site helped me get my printer working I thought I'd pass on the info on how & where to get the trays for much less than you guys are paying on EBay.

But since you think "I" have other motives, go on paying too much for them. I got mine cheap, too bad for you.

I'm done here.
Hey even if you work for parts now this information benifits others. It would be nice if you were less defencive of partsnow and had accurate info regarding their supping rates for their sub $10.00 items, but hey.

Chances are you do work for partsnow. They didn't have any two weeks ago but said they're working on getting them. Given that people have asked over and over again where can one buy them I don't see it being in bad form at all for partsnow to hire someone to repond to forums such as these looking for odd ball parts... in fact i'm thrilled they'd take the time.

You see... your a little bit too defensive. The e-bay trays cost many times what they are worth because of simple supply and demand. Supply is limited to 5, 10, or 20 trays that the overseas suppliers carry, and unless your shipping in a a4 sized envelope marked "Stationary Supplies" it's going to cost $20ish to go cross the pond. Even going with "stationary supplies" which qualifies for a lower rate it's still $10ish to ship cross the pond. My belief these trays are comming from overseas comes from helping people find shops that actually sell them.

But it's not up to you to decide if someone else is paying too much. partsnow is backordered till september... and *most* of these e-bay folk actually have them. While you are spending an extra $15 or $20 for the e-bay solution.. you are likely to get it early Augest... so it's up to the individual to make the valued judgement whether to spend more or wait.

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy partsnow carries these things. This is delightful. But at the same time i'm also happy that there are some enterprising folk who took the time to hunt down forein shops to get these things that are not sold by canon usa at all. For canon to do so invites a lawsuit by philips. If you believe that I have a bridge i'd like to sell you... the tacoma narrows... the first one. Handling fees are well... I won't say :P
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1000

At least this confirms that Canon has no problem with people selling spare parts even if it's obvious that they are being used to modify domestic printers.

It looks like PartsNow has the same problem as everyone else who orders the parts overseas: Long delivery time and high cost of shipping, so they probably wait until they have a bunch of orders and then order a large quantity at once.

I'm getting some extra base units with the rollers, since people keep asking for them, and nobody else seems to be able to get them. Hope to have them in 3-4 weeks.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote