Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1001

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
bigman wrote:
Quote:
No, they don't stock the trays. They order them as needed for their customers. I in no way work for the company. Since this site helped me get my printer working I thought I'd pass on the info on how & where to get the trays for much less than you guys are paying on EBay.

But since you think "I" have other motives, go on paying too much for them. I got mine cheap, too bad for you.

I'm done here.
Hey even if you work for parts now this information benifits others. It would be nice if you were less defencive of partsnow and had accurate info regarding their supping rates for their sub $10.00 items, but hey.

Chances are you do work for partsnow. They didn't have any two weeks ago but said they're working on getting them. Given that people have asked over and over again where can one buy them I don't see it being in bad form at all for partsnow to hire someone to repond to forums such as these looking for odd ball parts... in fact i'm thrilled they'd take the time.

You see... your a little bit too defensive. The e-bay trays cost many times what they are worth because of simple supply and demand. Supply is limited to 5, 10, or 20 trays that the overseas suppliers carry, and unless your shipping in a a4 sized envelope marked "Stationary Supplies" it's going to cost $20ish to go cross the pond. Even going with "stationary supplies" which qualifies for a lower rate it's still $10ish to ship cross the pond. My belief these trays are comming from overseas comes from helping people find shops that actually sell them.

But it's not up to you to decide if someone else is paying too much. partsnow is backordered till september... and *most* of these e-bay folk actually have them. While you are spending an extra $15 or $20 for the e-bay solution.. you are likely to get it early Augest... so it's up to the individual to make the valued judgement whether to spend more or wait.

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy partsnow carries these things. This is delightful. But at the same time i'm also happy that there are some enterprising folk who took the time to hunt down forein shops to get these things that are not sold by canon usa at all. For canon to do so invites a lawsuit by philips. If you believe that I have a bridge i'd like to sell you... the tacoma narrows... the first one. Handling fees are well... I won't say :P
This could be resolved very easily. If someone here that selljust the trayson ebay could post a reciept showing they are getting them from overseas instead of from partsnow and overcharging for them. They wouldn't have to show the price, just the address and part#. I tend to beleive bigman. If he found this place, what's to say someone else didn't and saw a great way to make some fast cash from the members here?

Just out of curiousity what does this mean "supping rates "?
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:11 PM   #1002

$6.92 plus ship is pretty cheap compare to $35

So I called and the lady said they are on back ordered until October now and that shipping is about $6.

So it looks like a 8 to 12 week wait for people who want to save money.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:47 PM   #1003

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
I'm getting some extra base units with the rollers, since people keep asking for them, and nobody else seems to be able to get them. Hope to have them in 3-4 weeks.
Do you think you can get $66 now? I'd imagine nowparts can get those items as well just by requesting it.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:51 PM   #1004

soundforbjt wrote:
Quote:
If he found this place, what's to say someone else didn't and saw a great way to make some fast cash from the members here?
Do you mean partsnow when you say someone else? I doubt that they'd make much fast cash at $6.92 maybe a couple bux a piece.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:53 PM   #1005

Email from parts now,they list the parts but everything is back ordered

Thank you for your inquiry. The availability and prices are as follows:

QL2-0605-000 = $6.80, no stock tray

QM2-1239-000 = $5.00, no stockbase with rollers

QA4-1117-000 = $4.20, no stock adapter for mini disks
damnlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:57 PM   #1006

Has anybody figured out how to calibrate the CD-R sensor on an iP3000 or iP4000? I did the CD-R test print in service mode and the crosshairs appear to be in the right place with CDR(000000,000000) showing in the test print. But I have to correct the position by about 3-4 mm in both CD LabelPrint and Discus. The problem with this is, that it doesn't print all the way to the edge, leaving a small wedge blank at one side.

I tried to correct the horizontal position in the service menu (8 times RESUME, then POWER), which did change it. After several attempts it now shows CDR(-02000,000000). The crosshairs print closer to one side now, but the correction factor in the label program is much smaller, and the white wedge is almost gone.

The problem is, that I don't have any control over the amount of correction. First time it showed -00600, then -01400, and after the 3rd correction -02000. I'm afraid to correct more, because if it overshoots I don't know how to move it back into the other direction.

Needless to say, I'm using the original Canon tray and base unit with the rollers. Even a link to a service manual in a foreign language that describes the procedure in more detail would be helpful. The English one just says "Not used in servicing". Thanks!
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:00 PM   #1007

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
soundforbjt wrote:
Quote:
If he found this place, what's to say someone else didn't and saw a great way to make some fast cash from the members here?
Do you mean partsnow when you say someone else? I doubt that they'd make much fast cash at $6.92 maybe a couple bux a piece.
What I meant was if someone here that is selling the trays, got them from partsnow for $6.92\ea. instead of overseas for around $20\ea. like they'd like you to beleive, then they are making a pretty good profit off the members here.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:03 PM   #1008

damnlimey wrote:
Quote:

Email from parts now,they list the parts but everything is back ordered

Thank you for your inquiry. The availability and prices are as follows:

QL2-0605-000 = $6.80, no stock tray

QM2-1239-000 = $5.00, no stockbase with rollers

QA4-1117-000 = $4.20, no stock adapter for mini disks
That's $16.00 total + shipping!!! for all 3 parts!!!

Much less then $66.00 + shipping!!

Quote:
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:05 PM   #1009

It's my guess that the factory in Thailand is the hold up not the individual suppliers. And parts-now must be getting them from the factory in order to sell that cheap. No?

:idea:

Like I said before Canon has to be aware of what's going on. Heck, Phillips probably knows by now. I'd say they don't really care as long as people are buying the canons and not the epsons with their "exclusive" CD print feature. Ha, it's no longer exclusive to epsons. My guess is about 1000 printers have been modded by now.

I guess I guess to much! Anybody else care to take a guess?

Also, I'll just bet that Canon got this thread started in the first place. You never know. They'd do anything to sell printers and save a bundle in patent royalties.

Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:15 PM   #1010

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
It's my guess that the factory in Thailand is the hold up not the individual suppliers. And parts-now must be getting them from the factory in order to sell that cheap. No?

Like I said before Canon has to be aware of what's going on. Heck, Phillips probably knows by now. I'd say they don't really care as long as people are buying the canons and not the epsons with their "exclusive" CD print feature. Ha, it's no longer exclusive to epsons. My guess is about 1000 printers have been modded by now.

I guess I guess to much! Anybody else care to take a guess?

Also, I'll just bet that Canon got this thread started in the first place. You never know. They'd do anything to sell printers and save a bundle in patent royalties.

Quote:

Now that last line is a bit much to swallow. I seriously doubt that Canon had anything to do with this, no more than a rep from partsnow would be posting here. Their (partsnow) profit on these has got to be minimal compared to something like a print head which they can obtain here in the states.