Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:04 AM   #101

:idea:I figured it out guys... Well, I could have figured it out at least. You guys that have the actual CD tray do this::idea:

1: Open Nero Cover Designer (or whatever software you use)

2: Make sure registry hack is in place.

3: Make whatever label and hit print.

4: Go into the printer settings and change the Media Type to Printable Disc (Reccomended), Paper Source: Disc Tray and then THE IMPORTANT PART, go to Page Setup and change the Paper Size to CD-R Tray B.

Instead of giving you an error that the Inner Cover is open a new screen pops up and asks you to open the Inner Cover and insert the CD Tray then press resume on the printer. When I put something into the hole for the CD Tray it pops up and says "Now Printing Disk" but since I don't have the CD tray I went ahead and stopped the print job.

Someone with a real tray for their printer please try this. Now I just hafta find a darn disc tray on the internet.
JinxTwitchyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:56 AM   #102

Anyone know where I can get/buy a CD Tray? Stupid Canon... Stupid Epson... Stupid Patent....
JinxTwitchyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:06 PM   #103

Jinx, not so fast. I also got to the place tray in innner tray instructions, but after I placed my real (got it from Canon) tray, and hit resume, the "Printing cannot resume because the inner tray is open" response came up. What label software are you using? If you are using Nero Cover designer, how do you get it to only print the CD label? When I tried it always groups the print job with cover, jacket, then CD label. How would you be able to print only the CD label with disc preference settings given all the other stuff Nero is trying to print?

For those interested in the bypass methods, I think I now have a better understanding why Azzkikr had trouble. It seems the upper rollers which lies above the disc affects whether the discs slips during printing. So when Azzkikr placed his discs center or centered by inner tray, just when printing resumes when the disc is about to move, it hits a roller and veers right and backa little.

That's why you will need to make your own DIY tray. On30trainman is correct, you need to get a paperboard or plastic the same thickness as the disc or slightly less. Too thick and you'll hear the print head start rocking over the paperboard. I think the paperboard from a shoebox would be a good thickness. Regular cardboard is too thick. Pushing it under the white rollers would take effort if the paperboard is thick. If it is same as disc and tapered, it will be much easier to slide under the white rollers. Make sure you already have a paper fed otherwise I noticed their are some levers to make the board bear downwards into the catridge when I was trying to push the board through the bare rollers to test.

For the occasional disc printing, the front bypass is still the easiest. I think I got lucky because the position I had (lower far right on paper, back far left when facing printer) doesn't slip at all. I did notice however when slipping the disc through it would veer slightly right, but I could easily push it back left for perfect alignment. It would print good all the time. I used the following software for free and I used A4 size, block out the top label and print the lower label. Don't forget to alway use envelope media.

http://www.download.com/EZ-Label-Xpr...-10256755.html

My friend's disc only had the drivers from Canon, so I'll see if I can get the label printer software tomorrow.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:55 PM   #104

If it would help you guys I can make proper drawings with accurate measurementsof the epson R210 (R200) trayand post here,the leading edge is tapered for about 15mm,from a thin clear plastic leading edge,could be made easily by laminating two sheets of card,the top one with a hole to fit the CD,sorry I can't help with canon
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:12 PM   #105

JinxTwitchyboo - did you actually get it to try printing with the setup you described? Is it repeatable? After I get the message to open the Inner Door and insert the CD Tray and hit OK, then I immediately get the Inner Door open error (same as AlvinLee) even though I still have the option of the Printable media in media selection. If you can, put a piece of thin cardboard into the CD tray and let it print on it - report back.

fperry - thanks but the offer of the Epson tray dimensions isn't really any help to us PIXMA users. Would like an owner of the Canon tray to post dimensions of it, plus a top picture of it. I cut a 5" wide piece of 0.040" styrene and tapered the leading edge somewhat. It was much easier to get it under the white rollers. But I'm not going to pursue the design further until some method of getting around the Inner Cover Open error is found.

AlvinLee - I agree with you about Nero Cover Designer. Why can't it be set to only print the item you want. When I print paper labels I have to cancel out all the unwanted pages to get one disk label print I want.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:03 PM   #106

Found a way to buy the UK model in the US!

I just received my ip5000 UK model. It includes the CD tray and all the goodies. The power supply is 240 volts. It's not the dual voltage of some of the previous models so it needs either a different power supply or a US European voltage converter which are fairly inexpensive on ebay.

I live in North Carolina so importation of the ip5000v was the only way I could figure out to get a printer I didn't have to modify. I emailed several dealers in the UK but none would ship to the US. What I finally figured out was to do a search for the UK SKU # which is different from the US SKU, for the same model.

A google search found Expansys a company that has offices from Australia to the US. Here's the link to their website. Do a search for Pixma. The prices are a bit high but it includes shipping from England. You only pay US freight.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/
jassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:16 PM   #107

jassman I did a search on expansys.com for an ip4000 and you are positive these are all UK models, I mean if I order one it will for sure have the cd/dvd printing ability?
Also:
1. What are you going to do for the power supply?
2. Besides the power supply issue, this is just plug and play? You are able to use whatever drivers it comes with plus software and everything works fine?
3. How long did it take to get your ip5000?
4. I can't decide between the ip4000 and ip5000 to stricly use for printing dvds and photos, how did you decide? I don't want to screw up since these cost more.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:19 AM   #108

Has anyone tried making this work on OS X?

badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:48 AM   #109

jassman,

Can you post your registry settings under:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printe rs\Canon PIXMA iP5000\PrinterDriverData\

and

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers\C anon PIXMA iP5000\PrinterDriverData\

and actually

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers\C anon PIXMA iP5000\

We are feeling that holds the key to this printing mystery. The caddy may/may not be something, I'm thinking not but we'll see. Those registry values are critical. Oh yeah, make sure you can print something in the CD try first (Even if you cut out a round piece of paper and put it in that tray. That will help figure out if it's a regional setting or a printer setting.

I'm looking for the registry values that the drivers hit up against right now, looking for something that makes sense. REGMON is a wonderful tool.

kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:40 PM   #110

Have those of you who have gotten the bypass method to work, experienced the print quality problems that Azzkikr1337 experienced? Does the registry hack produce better results than the bypass method?
Thanks
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote