Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:41 AM   #1101

weapon wrote:
Quote:
received the money orders today for the trays from:

Gwheaton
Zakezuke
Apple2k

Trays sent out today. I will email you guys the tracking number later tonight.
Thanks weapon... i'm near enough to you that chances are i'll get the item before I get the tracking number.

I recieved one from TVUONGPHAM as well... got a chance to test it out in my mp760. I suspected that the real tray alignment might be off due to the fact that we've been aligning the printer using letter sized paper vs a4 paper. Sure enough the Y distance is spot on.. 5.5mm each +, but the X alignment is off by exactly 1.5mm, the same distance difference between my ip3000 and mp760 using the same tray.

What I find odd is the fact that a4 is 210mm wide where letter is 215.9mm wide. If paper is used as a cue to find the center, then the center of a4 would be 105mm and letter would be 107.95, a difference of 2.95mm, so why 1.5?

I'll have to test my theory by picking up some a4 paper, either that or chopping up some letter to a4 width.

For the time being it's a mystery to me but for now it looks like the + should be 5.5mm from all sides.

I wonder if other mp7x0 users have noticed the same thing.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:57 AM   #1102

I've been reading earlier pages from the thread. I can't seem to find any info on this, but will the "print hack" work for the new iP4200 as well?? TIA for any help on this.
TLWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1103

Well... I started out simply replacing a dying Epson C80 inksucker but this forum thread has become an epic journey.

I have read All of it and believe that this thread could be used as classic example of American economics in a microcosim.This thread should be taught in classrooms.

It contains everthing:

1) Monopoly control (Howdid they restrain free trade on something as basic as printing onCD/DVD media?)

2)Good old Americanoutrage (How dare you tell us we can'y have it because we are in the United States!)

3)Perseverance, persistance and teamwork by a large group ofpeople, relatively unknown ro each other, linked only by common cause (We'll just figure it out ourselves, you d%&*$#!)

4) Capitalism and free enterprise (The law of supply and demand is certainly at work!)

And in the end the people win! And the CDs/DVDs get printed!

That will teach someone to tell Amercans thay can't have something.

My hat is off to all parties involved.

P.S.

My hard learned lesson in how to repair an Epson C80 printer.

1) Carefully lift the printer approximately12 inches from the desktop.

2) While holding the printer securely, replace all Epson parts that do not touch the desk with Canon equivalent, or better, components.

In my case they were Pixma IP3000 components. I have bought 3 of them for a charity I do some work for and finally got my own. Now I can print on CDs and DVDs thanks to all the people involved in this effort.

Well done and thank you!

Muad Dib

Muad Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:30 PM   #1104

TLWork wrote:
Quote:
I've been reading earlier pages from the thread. I can't seem to find any info on this, but will the "print hack" work for the new iP4200 as well?? TIA for any help on this.
Information released is a fuction of the number of people who own it vs the number of people willing to take the time to look beyond the service. The iP4200 is new, really really new. There is no information presently available on the subject. It "could be" the same as the ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500 or it could be different. It would take someone either buying it or going to their local retail store and punching buttons to see if the menu layout is the same.

Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:54 PM   #1105

Muad Dib wrote:
Quote:
1) Monopoly control (Howdid they restrain free trade on something as basic as printing onCD/DVD media?)

2)Good old Americanoutrage (How dare you tell us we can'y have it because we are in the United States!)

3)Perseverance, persistance and teamwork by a large group ofpeople, relatively unknown ro each other, linked only by common cause (We'll just figure it out ourselves, you d%&*$#!)

4) Capitalism and free enterprise (The law of supply and demand is certainly at work!)

And in the end the people win! And the CDs/DVDs get printed!

That will teach someone to tell Amercans thay can't have something.

My hat is off to all parties involved.

While I do sit this as being a patent issue i.e. a Phillips monopoly... I don't see it as being a free trade issue. DVD region codes are a violation of free trade as it is designed to stop free trade. While I am empathetic to the fact that they "want" to wait for a given DVD to be shown in theaters in some markets.. I am not empathetic to the fact that region codes do not expire... and even when I buy old stuff marked clearly for world distribution... it's still on a region 1 disc. Near as I'm aware there is nothing stopping canon from selling these units in America, only the lack of desire to pay the Phillips fee to do so. I'm shocked and surprised that they just can't get away with making what is a glorified envelope feeder designed to print on 200pound paper that just so happens "could" print on a DVD... except in the case of the canon the duplex unit gets in the way. But there is nothing stopping these units coming into the country... in fact from what I've observed stuff designated for export to countries other than north America have spiffy auto switching power supplies that'll work anywhere from that odd ball spot in east Tokyo at 110v 50hz, to America at 110 60hz to the rest of the world up to 240v.

I see this as being less of an attempt to restrict free trade but more an attempt to bypass patent controls on something trivial like printing to media that happens to be thick and round.
But needless to say this is all perfectly normal and happens all the time... though usual it's the case fo a company making product A for the consumer market and product B for the prosumer market... being virtually identical except product A has some missing buttons which could be added with ease. This can be observed with the slew of DVD burners that are on the market... you had a choice at one time to buy a 4x recorder or an 8x recorder, where they both were identical physically only in the software was the speed restricted. This was also very common when buying 3rd party ROMs for physical products, where many features and options were simply not documented, just marked in the manual "don't change".
It begs to question what are we buying, are we buying a physical product or are we licensing the features contained with in.
In the case of the Pixma printers... if given the option to pay $30.00 for a tray and the cd-print software, I'm sure many would jump at the chance. Many already have. This is something canon "could do" if they wanted. Consumers are happy, Canon is happy, and Philips is happy getting more license fees. But instead Canon has made a choice to ignore the demand and leave this market to cottage industry, some Joe who happens to have overseas contacts to order things not offered here. No restriction in free trade, simply not bothering.
I imagine you could see it as a protest of corporate policies... this would be very valid. Consumers tired of the old notion of different products for different markets... as seen with the case of the BCI-7 inks only sold in Japan and the CLI-8 inks sold in america with chips, but both vessles containing the same ink. Why should one country have to buy a new printer to use the new ink where another country can use the new ink in the old printer? This isn't a restriction of free trade but a corp making a desision that essentally is shafting one market but not another.

Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:45 PM   #1106

gwheaton wrote:
Quote:
Besides the CD Label Print from Canon, I'm using

Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker 2.41
Since version 2.39, Canon Direct to CD printing is supported.

For more info, See Here:

mach460 wrote: What exactly is the latest version of the CD Label Print Software from Canon, and where exactly do you get the latest version from? Also, besides using the Canon program, or Surething...are there any other programs that use the Pixma? thanks..
[/quote]

Thanks for the info...really cool program....
mach460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:24 PM   #1107

The only thing I find missing in Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker is the option to resize the center hole. It defaults to either 40mm (standard) or 17mm (fullface). Has anyone sussed out how to change it to, say, 33mm or 22mm?
Mender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:59 PM   #1108

Mender wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I find missing in Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker is the option to resize the center hole. It defaults to either 40mm (standard) or 17mm (fullface). Has anyone sussed out how to change it to, say, 33mm or 22mm?
Acoustica will probably have an option to adjust the inner hold size in a future release, but in the meantime, you just select "full-faced" for the small hole option and the non-full-faced one (direct to cd only) for the larger hole. this way works for me.

Don't forget that there is a Stretch option if you click on the Alignment button on the Print dialog (use it).

very nice program, easy to use andwith a lot of templates.

sattch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1109

Just did on my first Pixma 6000D. It works. Thanks to people's help here.

I have an Epson R200 too, compare to Canon, Epaon's printing software is much better. Canon's image is much better than Epson and prints fast.
cdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:15 AM   #1110

I agree I like the epson print software better than the canon.
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote