Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1151

So I should be getting some white Verbatim CD-Rs soon and was thinking it'd be cool to list the tracks or folders on my mp3 discs. But then I though... "that'd have to be some small text to list all the songs"... which led me to wonder:

What's the smallest legible text I can expect to put on one of these discs with an MP780? Is the white material on these CDR's and DVDRs good enough to expect the same print resolution as standard printer paper? Does anyone have experience printing small text on a disc yet?

Thanks!

CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:07 PM   #1152

While I was test printing to a white cd with the MP780, I ran the font down pretty tiny and it printed perfectly legible, you should be good to go.

Later, - Lew
Brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:31 AM   #1153

Just wanted to post a comment that the method described here
Code:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=317446#p317446
to modify an Epson Stylys Photo R200 DVD/CD printing tray for use in a Canon IPX000 does work like a charm.

I got mine today, had it modded in 20 minutes and printing perfectly shortly thereafter.

BTW, Epson trays can be had here
Code:
http://www.compassmicro.com/partsdetail.cfm?ID=2036&Printer=656
$4.53+$8.95 shipping. Shipping seems a bit steep for something like this, but it's still cheaper at Compass Micro than it ever is on eBay, and they're fast. Got mine in 2 days! And no, I don't work for Compass Micro
who_am_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:52 AM   #1154

who_am_i wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to post a comment that the method described here
Code:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=317446#p317446
to modify an Epson Stylys Photo R200 DVD/CD printing tray for use in a Canon IPX000 does work like a charm.

I got mine today, had it modded in 20 minutes and printing perfectly shortly thereafter.

BTW, Epson trays can be had here
Code:
http://www.compassmicro.com/partsdetail.cfm?ID=2036&Printer=656
$4.53+$8.95 shipping. Shipping seems a bit steep for something like this, but it's still cheaper at Compass Micro than it ever is on eBay, and they're fast. Got mine in 2 days! And no, I don't work for Compass Micro
I've since graduated to a canon tray. One thing critical on the epson tray, it apears that the center lug gives out after a while and doesn't hold the CD in as well. This wasn't a major problem, just a mild annoyance. But given I put well over 500 CDs through it I can't really complain.

The measurements on that image are well, a guess at best. You'll notice how my reflectors are off from the diagram. That tray was made when minimal information was available about the subject. No one has bothered to correct me, but updated diagrams are available. There are more updated templates available with what we believe to be the correct reflector locations.

But needless to say I agree the Epson tray is a good way to go. It at the very least has a center lug, costs under $15 typicaly, and does the job. You can be off by a long shot fore and aft. The right cut is hard to screw up. Any screwup within a few mm can be adjusted for in software... anything beyond can be adjusted by reflector location. The tray at least has a center lug and even though it gives up the goat after a few hundrad uses... it still does the job.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1155

I'll be in the UK in about a week. Anyone know where I can get the CDR parts/tray? I'll gladly get a few extras - seems like a lot of interest here!
TedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:44 PM   #1156

TedK wrote:
Quote:
I'll be in the UK in about a week.¬* Anyone know where I can get the CDR parts/tray?¬* I'll gladly get a few extras - seems like a lot of interest here!
Canon UK lists several sources for spare parts at:
http://www.canon.co.uk/where_to_buy/...bles/index.asp

I found my distributer in the Netherlands in a similar location on the Canon NL web site.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:10 PM   #1157

I'm interested in buyinga cd tray from you. Please let us know how many you can get in the UK. Thanks.
baon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:48 AM   #1158

From an earlier post, I see damnlimeylisted the part numbers and prices.

QL2-0605-000 = $6.80, no stock tray

QM2-1239-000 = $5.00, no stockbase with rollers

QA4-1117-000 = $4.20, no stock adapter for mini disks

I am trying to find a supplier in the UK that I can get these parts from.

Can someone confirm that these are indeed the parts needed for a Canon PIXMA IP5000? Thanks

If I can find a supplier, I'll order some and get them when I am in the UK. I'd be happy to buy extras if anyone is interested in this forum, and will sell them at cost (and maybe add a bit to pay for a cup of coffee while I mail them out to you - no, not starbucks, don't worry!)

(Thanks jonbgood, I e-mailed Canon, and they provided me (2) possible suppliers in the UK which are also on the web site you helped me with.----let's see what happens next!)

TedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:28 AM   #1159

TedK wrote:
Quote:
From an earlier post, I see damnlimey¬*listed the part numbers and prices.

QL2-0605-000 = $6.80, no stock¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬*tray

QM2-1239-000 = $5.00, no stock¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*base with rollers

QA4-1117-000 = $4.20, no stock¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* adapter for mini disks

I am trying to find a supplier in the UK that I can get¬* these parts from.

Can someone confirm that these are indeed the parts needed for a Canon PIXMA IP5000?¬* Thanks
These are the correct part numbers for PIXMA models iP3000 and up and MP7XX. Sometimes the tray ships with the mini disk adapter included.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1160

I think I posted this once before, but in case you missed it:

The mini disk adapter is only required if you intend printing "business card" media, i.e. the mini rectangular disks.It is designed to hold the business card media horizontally across the tray. It serves no other purpose whatsoever, so if you are not going to print on business card media, it is hardly worth spending the extra cash on one.

For standard 8cm disks, the adapter is not needed. I know this because I have the UK version that is supplied with everything, and I have printed many 8cm disks, but the mini disk adapter has never been near my printer.
Mender is offline   Reply With Quote