Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1161

Digiguy,

I followed the template you so graciously provided on http://pixma.cjb.net/. I very carefully trimmed the edges straight with a paper cutter (the kind with the big swing arm) and cut out the 3 square index holes with an xacto knife. The tray seems to fit into my iP6000D printer perfectly. When I go to print, the printer gently pulls in the tray until just about 1/2 inch of the CD is visible. The print head makes a pass over the CD and back, then the printer pulls the tray in until the CD is no longer visible... then the tray is immediately rejected and I get error messages.

The software says, "The CD-R tray is not inserted or a printable disc is not placed on the CD-R Tray...." but the printer's LCD says, "Cannot print on CD-R. Load a printable disc and press Resume." I get the same symptoms after loading a printable DVD, and a CD with a paper adhesive label, so I don't think it's a media problem. The fact that the tray starts loading in deeply then is immediately bounced out makes me think it's a problem with the tray, and likely the index holes. I rechecked the holes against the template (they were fine) and even tried widening them by 0.5mm to no avail.

Any ideas, anyone?
bgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:24 PM   #1162

bgordon,
On two homemade trays I built I found that the rightmost reflector - looking at tray with DVD to the top and 1 reflector on the left and two on the right - had to be flush with the tray surface, not depressed like the other two. The real Canon tray I now have also has that reflector on the surface. My homemades responded similar to yours until I mounted that reflector on the surface. Give it a try.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:56 PM   #1163

The problem was simpler than that... I didn't USE any reflectors. :?

The website referenced above doesn't explicitlysay anything about the holes being reflectors. I realized my mistake while perusing back through the thread. So it turns out my tray works just fine (Hooray!)

Now as many folks have also mentioned, the printing is just a teeny bit offset on the disc. The iP6000D Service Manual references values for, "CD-R print position correction" (one each forhorizontal and vertical) but it does not say how to SET those values.

Any ideas?
bgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:34 PM   #1164

bgordon wrote:
Quote:
Now as many folks have also mentioned, the printing is just a teeny bit offset on the disc. The iP6000D Service Manual references values for, "CD-R print position correction" (one each forhorizontal and vertical) but it does not say how to SET those values.

Any ideas?
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/7.html

the cd-label print allows for fine adjustment.

In the service manu there is an adjustment option for horizontal and vertical, but it's not well documented... I might have seen it once somewhere where resume adjusts in the neighborhood of mm, where if you adjust tward X or Y a certain amount it would then go to negative, I think.

[from service mode]
8 times Orange CD-R print position correction
(horizontal)
9 times Green CD-R print position correction
(vertical)

If someone else knows this i'd be happy to add this to my site.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:54 AM   #1165

Found a decent auction on ebay for canon trays $21.95 + $6 shipping aint bad, i got mine shipped right away and got it 2 days later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

achtepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:38 PM   #1166

Well well..I cant believe how much trouble everyone has had to go through all because Canon didnt secure the patent in NA. I am currently in Australia(visitng from Canada) and I am debating about what to do. I have found the IP4000 for $173 AUS but it is only $129 back in the Toronto area. Is it jsut me or is it a fairly painful process to MOD the Can version of the printer? Although I would rather not lug this printer all the way back to Canada it may be the best idea. I guess i got lucky that I looked into this printer b4 leaving this country. If I had no baggage I would have brought a few home with me. If only Canon nNorth America would pay off Epson already.

coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:58 PM   #1167

No i'm not, i purchased them last week from their website.
achtepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1168

achtepa wrote:
Quote:
No i'm not, i purchased them last week from their website.

OK. I've been followingthe sales of these trays since the beginning. It's something I just like to do. ThoughI wonder why people tend to pay a lot for them when they could just use my template.

Could you give me the link tothat website?
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:45 PM   #1169

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Well well..I cant believe how much trouble everyone has had to go through all because Canon didnt secure the patent in NA.
What else can you do when the printer you want has a feature you want disabled. I'm use to it.

Quote:
Is it jsut me or is it a fairly painful process to MOD the Can version of the printer?
It's an easy process of pressing a few buttons in the right order, pulling the cover to the DVD tray, and a way you go. Making a tray is more painful, buying a tray can cost as much as USD$30.00 these days, so Cad$35

Quote:
Although I would rather not lug this printer all the way back to Canada it may be the best idea
Hey... the euro version does have an auto switching power supply... not sure if the aus version does but chances are it does. Or you could hit the canon website and find a repair center and buy a tray while you are there. It's a cheap enough part, should be under $10 in the local currency.

Quote:
If only Canon nNorth America would pay off Epson already.
I believe it's philips that holds the license, not Epson. From my understanding Epson made the payoff and still sells a printer for under USD$100. Don't know what's up canon's craw.

Quote:
I have found the IP4000 for $173 AUS but it is only $129 back in the Toronto area
Given that Aus$173.00 = $155.00Canadian, a difference of CAD$18.00... assuming the $129 is the price including GST. Consider also that if you were to buy a tray... It'll cost you more than CAD$18 unless you could find one locally. If you can find one locally from one of the service centers listed on canon's website, then you could save $10ish. Assuming the Aus version has a switching power supply like the Euro models, which chances are it does, this is one of the few cases where I could see buying one overseas.

So the choice is down to.

1. Buy the printer there, spend $18 extra
2. Buy the tray there, save $10ish
3. Buy the tray here, spend extra
4. Make a tray, save $18
5. Buy lots of trays, sell at 100% or 200% profit.. buy a printer.

The website for the CD label print software has been down for the past few days. This might help weigh your options.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1170

digiguy wrote:
Quote:

That's funny. That auction had only been running for 26 hours when you posted your message. It would be impossible to get thetray 2 days later.

Let's play "The Name's The Same." Are you camdude59?
Also, I took the liberty to see if this seller has had any auctions in the past 30 days. The last thing they sold was a sidekick that ended aug 5 2005.

While I'm pro items being listed here... esp since partsnow doesn't have it in stock... I would agree that it's not possible this person to have bought a tray from camdude59.