Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1171

Quote:
Hey... the euro version does have an auto switching power supply... not sure if the aus version does but chances are it does. Or you could hit the canon website and find a repair center and buy a tray while you are there. It's a cheap enough part, should be under $10 in the local currency.
Quote:
Auto switching pwoer supply? I assume that means it can be used anywhere without a converter to change voltage? or sumthin else?
Quote:
Given that Aus$173.00 = $155.00Canadian, a difference of CAD$18.00... assuming the $129 is the price including GST. Consider also that if you were to buy a tray... It'll cost you more than CAD$18 unless you could find one locally. If you can find one locally from one of the service centers listed on canon's website, then you could save $10ish. Assuming the Aus version has a switching power supply like the Euro models, which chances are it does, this is one of the few cases where I could see buying one overseas.

So the choice is down to.

1. Buy the printer there, spend $18 extra
2. Buy the tray there, save $10ish
3. Buy the tray here, spend extra
4. Make a tray, save $18
5. Buy lots of trays, sell at 100% or 200% profit.. buy a printer.

The website for the CD label print software has been down for the past few days.
Quote:
Well its actualyl 129 plus tax so in comparison its prolly a better deal to buy it here...altho it will be a pain carrying this thing back over two flights.. also deoesnt the printer come with the label software? the aus verison i mean. I also wonder if I hgad problems if i would have to send it back to aus or if canon will accept it worldwide, i know apple does this.
Quote:
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #1172

Sounds like your best bet is to just buy the tray there, where it's cheaper, and buy the printer at home.
VTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:42 PM   #1173

Ok I have read through about 20 pages of this thread...and i still am not confident that I can pull this MOD off...If i have the tray and the roller unit(whatevr this is),..how much effort is req'd to switch the dvd/cd tray and install this roller mechanism?Can any avg person do this or did u need to betechnically inclined?Also, where are these instructions that tell me how to swtich the trays?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Secondly, when doing the flashing/modification to the eprom, what happens if u do ti wrong? can it be corrected?

Thirdly, for those who have ordered UK models and using them in North America, have u had any problems with them yet due to the differenc ein voltage? I was speaking with Canon Australia today and they told me that they dont reccomend using the UK/AUS version in Canada.

Thanks for any help guys.
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:47 PM   #1174

From what I have read the roller unit just snaps on, replacing the cover that you remove.* However, you don't actually need the roller unit.* I bought only a tray, and I've printed at least 25 DVDs with no problems.* You just line up the arrows at the appropriate time, hit the resume button, and the printer pulls it in.* With the instructions provided in this forum, the mod is easy for an average user to do, IMHO.* Not sure what you mean about switching trays though.
VTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:28 AM   #1175

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Ok I have read through about 20 pages of this thread...and i still am not confident that I can pull this MOD off...If i have the tray and the roller unit(whatevr this is),..how much effort is req'd to switch the dvd/cd tray and install this roller mechanism?Can any avg person do this or did u need to betechnically inclined?Also, where are these instructions that tell me how to swtich the trays?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Secondly, when doing the flashing/modification to the eprom, what happens if u do ti wrong? can it be corrected?

Thirdly, for those who have ordered UK models and using them in North America, have u had any problems with them yet due to the differenc ein voltage? I was speaking with Canon Australia today and they told me that they dont reccomend using the UK/AUS version in Canada.

Thanks for any help guys.
http://www.pixma.cjb.net/
http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/4.html

The 20 page thread is no longer required.... there are enough faqs on the subject that cover the procedure very very clearly. It's just a series of button presses.

The UK models work in the states... they have auto switching power supplies. This is definatly covered in the mp750/mp780 service manual. It's the North American version you have to worry about, it has the lame 100-120v 50-60hz power supply.

But in the odd event that you don't want to take the risk iSAWaUFO posted the part numbers some time back.. the prices are in US
Code:
$1.36-QH2-2725-000 CORD,  			POWER, 100V-120V
$18.51-QK1-1068-000 AC ADAPTER: 100V-120V  			50/60HZ
.$5.00-SHIPPING
$24.87=Total
You might want to ask about service of your printer, but there was on US user who bought a US multifuction pixma that couldn't print to CDs by default, but got free service and it was fixed in a day... it likely needed the button presses.

The cd printing software should come with the printer.... since you "can't" download it off their websites only the updates, it's safe to assume it comes with it.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1176

Thanks to all who have contributed. I have a Canon MP780 and I'm on my third Epson. That Epson is just starting to give me problems and I've had it with the Epson. I love my MP780 but I've always been frustrated by it's inability to print CD's and DVD's. Now I can. Thanks a lot.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:11 PM   #1177

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all who have contributed. I have a Canon MP780 and I'm on my third Epson. That Epson is just starting to give me problems and I've had it with the Epson. I love my MP780 but I've always been frustrated by it's inability to print CD's and DVD's. Now I can. Thanks a lot.
Here here! I had an Epson Stylus Color and then the Stylus 900 Color. Seemed like awesome printers at the time, but damn - I recall the 900 being over $200. Just for a printer. And a year or two alter, it was slow as sht in comparison. Sure, it could make awesome prints... for a 4 color system... until you didn't use it for a few weeks. Let it sit even longer, and forget it. I tore both pritners apart a few times to clean things out with alcohol because of their damn fixed/permanent print heads and clogging ink. Last time I went at it with the 900 I could never even get it clog/streak free. High quality, long lasting prints aren't worth a damn when you continually have such problems. They really should make a small utility which prints a test pattern every few days to keep the ink fresh.
Anyway, I got my MP780 a while ago once I saw that it could do CD printing. I was probably one of the first to to put the then-newly-found method for the MP7xx to use, and I must say I couldn't be happier with this printer... unless of course it had their new 7 color system. It'll be interesting to compare output of this and the new printers once they come out. But for < $200 for a multifunction that's fast, quiet, and high quality, these things ROCK. I can only hope the build quality holds up, everything else has been near-perfection. Sayonara Epson!

Update since last posting: printed a couple DVD covers on my new Verbatims using my cardboard tray and they look awesome. I love it! If only I could figure out why the main menu is inaccessible on my Toshiba DVD player.. but that's for another forum.
-- C
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:55 PM   #1178

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
Here here! I had an Epson Stylus Color and then the Stylus 900 Color. Seemed like awesome printers at the time, but darn - I recall the 900 being over $200. Just for a printer. And a year or two alter, it was slow as sht in comparison. Sure, it could make awesome prints... for a 4 color system... until you didn't use it for a few weeks. Let it sit even longer, and forget it. I tore both pritners apart a few times to clean things out with alcohol because of their darn fixed/permanent print heads and clogging ink. Last time I went at it with the 900 I could never even get it clog/streak free. High quality, long lasting prints aren't worth a darn when you continually have such problems. They really should make a small utility which prints a test pattern every few days to keep the ink fresh.
Anyway, I got my MP780 a while ago once I saw that it could do CD printing. I was probably one of the first to to put the then-newly-found method for the MP7xx to use, and I must say I couldn't be happier with this printer... unless of course it had their new 7 color system. It'll be interesting to compare output of this and the new printers once they come out. But for < $200 for a multifunction that's fast, quiet, and high quality, these things ROCK. I can only hope the build quality holds up, everything else has been near-perfection. Sayonara Epson!
I'm one of those people who actually *likes* the epson in many ways. Color rendering is excelent, even the dye ink has somewhat decent lightfast qualities, the ink is more consistant in look on different media types. But they don't offer CD printing in an all in one, they waste much ink, and models under $300 I don't feel will last their warranty. Perhaps this will change in the future, perhaps they will add something to the printhead or ink that would help to prevent catastrophic fouling. Or perhaps canon at some point will actually offer either pigments or longer lasting dyes in their consumer models, and I don't mean a small improvement as seen with the new series of ink.

Someone described it to me that the thermals have more shallow nozzles. This is easy to believe as a heater is nothing more than a wire or coil. Rather than micro piezo which is more of a piston action whic requires greater depth. If true that would explain why the epsons are more prone to catastrophic head failure even though technicaly there is an advantage in not being bound to a boiling point to get your medium to the paper, it doesn't do you any good if it doesn't work. I believe the epsons can be improved upon, in particular the gasket that keeps the head sealed might work better if it was actually mounted with more than just a plastic hook on one side as with the r200/300.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:04 PM   #1179

I too, have had it with Epson and their clogging/non-replacable printheads. Granted, they do deliver excellent prints - when they work. But I'm tired of wasting ink cleaning and cleaning and cleaning the heads. I love my iP6000D - especially now that I can print on CD media (big grin)

Thanks again to all of you for the Canon "crack."

raaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 5:03 PM   #1180

Hmmm yes I did perhaps understate that Epsons prints when new or still working as new are awesome. But as you both said, that is still the problem - keeping them "like new". How they have managed to go this long without addressing the problem is strange to me. Would it be so difficult to, say, have a reservoir for strong rubbing alcohol and one additional tub going to the printhead that would flush it out after a print job? They do a lot of testing on how long their prints last but don't actually seem to use 1 printer for any extended amount of time to understand how gummed up things get after a year or 2. Bah. Oh well. Since I still don't do any heavy printing this 780 suits me far better.

On another note:
I'm still surprised by all the people who seem afraid to make their own trays and would rather spend $10, 20, even $30 still?! to get a cheap plastic one. Good grief!

CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote