Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1181

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
On another note:
I'm still surprised by all the people who seem afraid to make their own trays and would rather spend $10, 20, even $30 still?! to get a cheap plastic one. Good grief!
I'm empathetic to anyone who would rather buy a tray than make one. A bought tray should be spot on accurate where a made tray is only as accurate as you can make it with your own hands. Using handtools my self I can only get within +/-1 mm. Further even using the cross hairs to measure the offset you're going to waste a few discs to get it centered costing 25cents to 50cents/each. If $20 resolves a headache than great.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1182

I'm not going to criticize the quality of Epson's output. I think it's great. My problem is with their durability and the cost of ink(it's a thirsty little devil). The disk transport mechanism is crap. Even when it's working, it doesn't work well. There are times when I have to re-insert the disk three or four times in order to get it to print.What Ifind reallystrange is that a set of OEM ink cartridges costs $54.95+tax at B.J.s Warehouse.If I put a little effort into it and shop, I can get a whole new printer with new cartridges for pretty much the same price. Does Epson consider the R200 a "disposable" printer? ShouldI just throw it away when the ink runs out?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone, especially those who have OEM trays,had a problem with Canon's disk transport mechanism yet?

jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1183

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
If I put a little effort into it and shop, I can get a whole new printer with new cartridges for pretty much the same price. Does Epson consider the R200 a "disposable" printer? ShouldI just throw it away when the ink runs out?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone, especially those who have OEM trays,had a problem with Canon's disk transport mechanism yet?

On those days where it costs less for the printer than the ink, one could consider buying the printer, using the ink, and either keeping it as a spare or selling it on e-bay. I have seen cases where the printer was less than the ink but not in the past week. I'm told the bottom is so fragile that when the printer blinks "needs diaper replacement" that removal breaks it. I don't know this for a fact, but given my experence with the printer I would tend to believe it.

I haven't used the canon tray enough to judge. From my understanding the Epson tray has a plastic bit on the front that helps to feed it and the clear plastic bit gets messed up over time, and will operate just fine if you remove it. You can always ask epson for a new one and they'll fedex one for you for free, for a year anyway.

Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:36 PM   #1184

Ok. I have gotten a tray and did all the steps to make the printer capable of printing on the CDs. Now all I need to do is find the cd-labelprint software. That link to the Taiwan site does not seem to work. Does anyone have this or know of an alternate that works? If this has already been answered I am sorry. Thanks.
alphonse55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:04 PM   #1185

Alphonse, this is what I used from earlier inthis forum for my MP780:

http://s120101154.onlinehome.us/pixm...n.V1.0.2_E.exe

Later, - Lew
Brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1186

On the Canon Australia website it shows the IP4000 as having a 220-240 volt power supply which I assume is not auto swtich...or atleast not auto swtich down to 110. Canon australia said that they do not recommend using this printer back home due to the differences in voltage. Therefore im not very confident about bringing this printer back to Canada, as I dont want to buy an power converters or anythign to take care of the voltage issue.

I think I will just wait till i get home to buy the one back there...bring sum trays back and use them on the can version..i can get the software from a friend here who bought the ip4000 here so that would solve the issue of where i get the software..btw, when installing the software, do i need to "pretend" taht I am somewhere else? or do i choose my country and stuff as canad...do i need to change settings inc ontrol panel as to where im located or is this not necessary?

In regards to the power supply parts mentioned by ISawaUFO, are these easily swapped? OR does this require sum technical knowledge? Is that just changing the current plug ? Or is that a new power supply for inside the unit?

Thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:52 PM   #1187

Also, are there any canadians who have bought an IP4000 and have got it printing on dvds? Just looking to find someone who may be able to assist me in the event I run into issues.

Thanks

Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1188

Coolio,

If you haven't already bought the iP4000 have you checked EBay? There's a guy selling US versions with all the conversions and a tray for around $105+$30 shipping with a buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-D-D-V-D-Print-...QQcmdZViewItem
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:37 PM   #1189

Hey Jim, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I will not be back in Canada until December so I wont be able to order anything from Ebay jsut yet. But thanks for the info I will consider that option. If only the darn power supply in the Aus version was swticvhable I could buy the thing here and bring it home.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1190

coolio wrote:
Quote:
On the Canon Australia website it shows the IP4000 as having a 220-240 volt power supply which I assume is not auto swtich...or atleast not auto swtich down to 110. Canon australia said that they do not recommend using this printer back home due to the differences in voltage. Therefore im not very confident about bringing this printer back to Canada, as I dont want to buy an power converters or anythign to take care of the voltage issue.

I think I will just wait till i get home to buy the one back there...bring sum trays back and use them on the can version..i can get the software from a friend here who bought the ip4000 here so that would solve the issue of where i get the software..btw, when installing the software, do i need to "pretend" taht I am somewhere else? or do i choose my country and stuff as canad...do i need to change settings inc ontrol panel as to where im located or is this not necessary?

In regards to the power supply parts mentioned by ISawaUFO, are these easily swapped? OR does this require sum technical knowledge? Is that just changing the current plug ? Or is that a new power supply for inside the unit?
The UK version is listed on the website as being AC 220-240 V 50/60 Hz but we know it's 110v to 240v. I can't say for sure that the Oz version is the same auto switching power supply as the UK one, but it's bloody likely.

You options are

1. Remove the power supply, use a volt meter, if 24V use it, if less than 24V (not likely) don't use it.
2. Check the model number of the power supply which should be clearly marked and seen without removing it, if someone here can conferm it's the same model number as the auto switching supplies use it without worry.
3. Don't take a chance and buy a North American supply from canon. It's cheap enough, in the US $25 will get it to your door with a power cord... and this is the offical true blue canon solution. No clue about the offical canadian price, but given this is roughly equal to that which others are offering the tray on e-bay... worst case scenero isn't all that bad.

Trust support to not have a freaking clue... and "we wouldn't reccomend" means "we have no idea".

I've never swapped a power supply before today. No screw driver was required with the ip3000, two clips and the whole thing dropped out with a 3 pin power connector at the end. Mine is marked very clearly AC adapter K30233 100V. I've not met QK1-1093 personaly but it's image is clearly the same big boxy thing in the service manual. No screw driver required. No technical knowege required. It is very much like an external pigtail supply except it docks inside the printer and is held in by clips.

1. turn printer sideways
2. expand fore and aft clips
3. Catch power supply as it falls, or allow to drop on foot
4. Disconnect the wire at the top, not reqiured if it dropped on your foot
5. Attach wire to new unit, shove it in, hook up AC power.

This is more simple than the button presses to enable CD printing on North American Pixmas, assuming it's even required.

Worst case scenero is you buy on in OZ, take it home, and it doesn't have enough power to work and you gotta spend a few extra bucks for the North American supply. Best case scenero you take it home and it works just fine.

In the end it's up to you.

Also.. in addition to the printer from OZ you'd need a North American power cord. These are easy to find, or if you are lazy order one from canon "QH2-2725-000". It will cost more to ship than it costs, I would guess you'll spend under $10 canadian buying it from canon, likely the same from radioshack or other electronics dealer.

Attached Images