Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:36 PM   #111

For me, bypass method works like a charm. Only quality issues I had were settings that I failed to make before I printed.

The registry hack doesn't do anything right now, you have options for CD Printing, but it doesn't work.

The ONLY options for printing CD/DVDs right now on the PIXMA printers is:

a. Bypass method as described above.

b. Import a PIXMA printer from the UK, Australia, or other area where the CD/DVD tray is included, however we haven't gotten confirmation that an Import printer prints CD/DVDs when hooked up to an American PC.
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:48 PM   #112

AlvinLee - I found the following info while looking at posts on the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup. In Nero Cover Designer - to get only the disk, and not the other items, to print: when you open the PRINT screen, go to ELEMENTS tab and unclick the items you don't want printed and only the disk label will print.
Also, if we ever get the US version of the IP4000 to print disks normally, there was a template posted on the newsgroup to use with Nero Cover Designer.

on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:03 AM   #113

on30trainman wrote:
Quote:
AlvinLee - I found the following info while looking at posts on the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup. In Nero Cover Designer - to get only the disk, and not the other items, to print: when you open the PRINT screen, go to ELEMENTS tab and unclick the items you don't want printed and only the disk label will print.
Also, if we ever get the US version of the IP4000 to print disks normally, there was a template posted on the newsgroup to use with Nero Cover Designer.

Hello all ! - I have been following your postings as I too have been trying to get past the cd print feature limitation. I have a 4000, diy tray & ez label xpress & trying to print normally. I have been able to get to where the software says it is going to print but doesn.t because my reflectors are not located properly. I know I could just add a reflector to all of the tray extending past the disc area but would like to be more exact as this check also serves to correctly position the cd for printing & maybe prevent possible damage to printer (???). Anyway, would AlvinLee or Jassman mind posting the dimentions of the canon tray, with also the centered locations of the two reflectors. I would greatly appreciate it and & might be able to contribute additional input on this problem.
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:53 AM   #114

You know the reflectors are the problem?

What is the error message you are getting? If it's Tray isopen, join the club.

Would be nice if it was just the "reflectors", but I'm going to guess it's not. The more I think about this, the more I beleive we are NOT going to be able to use the CD tray on North American printers. When installing the drivers (US or Asian) SOMETHING happens with the communication between the printer and the drivers that removes the CD Tray option. If it were no cd tray present, it would come back next time you try to print, not a permanent change.

There's ONE registry key that I DO NOTHAVE that the drivers are looking for. It's:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printe rs\Canon PIXMA iP4000\OrinterDriverSet\CnmSLM_CIR

If someone with a real tray and CD/DVD print option can look that up and let me know what the value is, that would be great.

I can't seem to make sense of what it could mean. I'm going to do some more testing and see when it actually looks up that key. There so much data to look through, it's tough to figure out when exactly it's looking. If there's no hit on that registry key once it asks me to instert the tray, I suspect it's not the culprit.

Next I'm going to look for the actual sensors that get tripped when that blasted tray is open. If we can fool it to be closed, BUT it still pull in a homemade tray, maybe we have something.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:13 PM   #115

kirky - No I'm not positive it is the reflectors. I managed to find a canon cdr print guide somewhere & it listed two error codes. 2 flashes = cd-r tray not in place & 7 flashes = cd-r or dvd-r not set, meaning there is no print media in the tray. This tells me there is a check for this & may be done before the check on the reflectors is made. The guide mentions a check called "detect a printable disc on the cdr tray" & that is probably my first problem to solve. This check is set via a check box in the "custom settings" on the "Maintainance" tab within the preferences of the canon printing interface. However, mine is checked but grayed out & I cannot uncheck it to get around the error. I would guess it is a reg entry I need to find. "I am getting 7 flashes. My diy tray does not have a cutout yet for the disc as I do not know where to put it without the measurements I am looking for. I figured I would try to print directly on the tray soas to tell me exactly where to place it. I have a gut feeling we are going to solve this eventually as I cannot believe canon spent more than is required to get around this. They lost money in sales & higher printer costs by having to not give the US this function. I believe that once we get everything lined up the way it is overseas we will have it. The only problem may be in not finding a copy of the cd-label print software as it may have parameters we are not aware of.

The guide also showed that there are 3 reflectors rather than 2 as i have read here. The 3rd is in a line with the other 2 & closer to one edge. It's hard to guess what each might be checking.
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:36 PM   #116

Good call on the Check for CD-R in the tray. I have that option and it's available for me. Since you have a little more with regards to the tray, maybe you'll need to pick up on this.

I installed the Asian drivers as suggested earlier in this post. Install on a different port, and then change it. I put the registry entry in BEFORE I did anything else, so it's always bbeen there for me. If you don't have the Asian drivers (and they are double the size of the US ones) you might want to install those to get that addition option in the Maintenance screen. I'm not sure why I would be able to check/uncheck that and you wouldn't otherwise.

Maybe I'll work on a CD-Tray later today and see where I can get. My cardboard one seems to NOT be aligning right the print head hits it a little, etc.

Thanks for the clarification, itsounds like you're heading in the right direction. I'm going to take a closer look at the CD-R print guide as well, I'm sure that has some hints, even if it's just for the pictures.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:42 PM   #117

It probably isn't the Canon cd label printing SW that is any limit. The posts on comp.periph.printers that I have been following are mainly being posted by Europeans who have the capability to print on CD/DVDs but don't like the Canon SW. Templates have been generated for both Nero Cover Designer and Surething CD Labeler. I couldn't get the Surething template to be recognized by my limited version of the program, but the Nero one looked fine. If the reflectors on the tray are used by the printer, wonder if Canon did not install the sensors in the units sold in US - would be easy to just leave them out - they already made a change in the Inner Tray with the US type insert. If we ever find out the registry entry that ignores the open Inner Tray when in the CD print mode, AlvinLee should be able to tell us about the reflectors since he has a real Canon CD tray.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:50 AM   #118

Yes I have the authorized CD tray. And now I also have the CD-Label printer software.I installed the software hoping it would work, but get the same problem "please lift the inner cover". So now we know even with the Canonlabel printing software, it still trips us. Remember, I also tried placing the tray below and through the carriage,closed the inner tray and it fed in a A4 paper instead, so we knowevendismantlingthe inner cover sensor will not help.

I think you can actually download thecd-label printer software from http://pixma.canon.com.cn/I'll need to find the exact site.

So far manual inner bypass is still the easiest. As long as your disc happens to be aligned so that once printing starts, it doesn't get deflected by the white roller that it is sliding under. Making a paper tray solves the slipping problem, but for some reason, I've had some errors making a tray that aligns perfectly. I don't know if the printer inconsistently lands on the area about to print sometimes a little ahead and sometimes not. So for now, manual inner bypass at the right spot (which I've already found) works the easiest. Because the manual inner bypass uses a paper template, I never have a off carriage alignment issue. Just always place the printable disc right over the template trace. To make it easier, instead of always loading the template paper inside the catridge, you can simply slide on top of the catridge and it will feed it. Once you got it working, it really is as easy as having a tray.

Making a DIY tray or solving the registration method is for those who need to print tons because it seems more automated. But if you really do a direct comparison, I'm not sure if it is that much more automated and easier. This "last mile" effort is for the sake of some kind of automation. But this inner bypass is almost as easy.

Inner bypass means you always need a template to feed first, and always have options set at envelope. Is it that difficult?

I've almost used up all my allotted time on this project allowed by my wife. She says I'm spending more time with this printer than with her.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:17 AM   #119

Maybe try this for the Photo Print software...

http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

or this...

http://www.canon.com.cn/tech/cm_driv...99&flag=ie

If you struggle through it, you should get thereI think. Too lazy to disassemble the HTML looking for the right path, it's early still.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:32 AM   #120

Also, this just about confirms it's either printer or registry related. I'm going to guess it's printer related.

Before you disappear though, can you post some dimentions on that CD tray, length, width, heigth, location of the "reflectors, alignment arrows, etc? Front and back if possible. Also, if you could snap a picture of it loaded into the printer with the top tray open maybe? Just so I can get an idea of the paper path it's using along with the location of the reflectors once it's been inserted correctly? Even pics of the tray would be nice.

I'm very happy with the bypass method so far. Quality is outstanding for me, and even though it's a pain to align,I can deal with it. How many disks do I print anyway?