Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1191

Hey, zakezuke, thanks for the info, i do appreciate it. Just quick question, when you say that "we know" the pwoer supply in uk is auto swtich, i am assumign this is becuz when u actually LOOk at it in person it says this? 110-240v? Just curious so I can try and perform the same check here in AUS...i will go to store or ask a friend to check there power supply.
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1192

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Hey, zakezuke, thanks for the info, i do appreciate it. Just quick question, when you say that "we know" the pwoer supply in uk is auto swtich, i am assumign this is becuz when u actually LOOk at it in person it says this? 110-240v? Just curious so I can try and perform the same check here in AUS...i will go to store or ask a friend to check there power supply.
We know because they were ordered from expansys from the UK with a little UK to US adapter, and people plugged it in and it worked. I don't know what it said on the bottom, but someone i'm sure here listed the part number to the UK supply. If they are different then there is a shadow of doubt. If they are the same then there is reasonable assurance.

I have a deutch service manual for the MP750/mp780 and it is listed as 100v to 240v 50 to 60hz. I don't happen to have an OZ ip4000 service manual.

I don't know honestly if it will be "nice" and list 100 to 240v, but if the part number is the same, it's a reasonable bet, and you are only betting US$25. Not sure what price it is canadian, you'd have to ask Canon in Canada for that info.

Edit: K30235 should be the UK supply. Presently i'm not sure how to translate a K30232 to a qk3-xxxx number, but we know the 100v version is QK1-1093-000

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:10 PM   #1193

Hey Zakezuke, in your manual how is the power supply speccs listted..I am lookin at the online manual for AUS ip4000, and it says

Power supply:

AC 110-120 V, 50/60 Hz

AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz

Is that how it is shown in yours? I am not sure if that means that its switchable, or if there are two power supplies?..or?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1194

So assuming that this AUS version is a swtichable power supply, the onyl issue left would be warranty service...which obviously is limited if non existent since we have to send these things back overseas..hmm
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:03 AM   #1195

Is there any loss of warranty when we change the eprom makign ti cdr enabled?

Is there a loss of warranty for any other of the mods that make the dvd printing enabled?

thanks
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:11 AM   #1196

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Hey Zakezuke, in your manual how is the power supply speccs listted..I am lookin at the online manual for AUS ip4000, and it says

Power supply:

AC 110-120 V, 50/60 Hz

AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz

Is that how it is shown in yours? I am not sure if that means that its switchable, or if there are two power supplies?..or?

Any ideas?

Thanks

No idea. You see... that's the problem. Someone earlier noted the the US PS was smaller than the UK version, and they are different part numbers.

You're looking for some definative absolute label that says specificly "This printer will work at 110v and 220v". You are not going to find it in any user's guide. The only place where this information exists is in service manuals or parts manuals, things which you typicaly can't find online. They only thing they'll say is

"Never use a power supply voltage other than that supplied in the country of purchase. Using the incorrect
voltage could cause a fire or electric shock. The correct power supply voltages and frequencies are
as follows:
AC 100-127V, 50-60Hz
AC 220-240V, 50-60Hz"

My ip3000 is marked 110-120V. I have no idea if it can do 240V
My mp760 is marked 110-240V... cool.

My advice is find out the part number, if it matches the UK part number the odds are good that it's auto switching. If not then there is a larger doubt that it is. But if you don't want to take the chance... buy the PS from canon. It doesn't cost all that much, no more or less than a typical tray would... but you *CAN* get it with ease. It's not like taking N. American equipment to Oz and jacking it in and running the risk that it will explode... you risk undervoltage. That's it, your choice.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:22 AM   #1197

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Is there any loss of warranty when we change the eprom makign ti cdr enabled?

Is there a loss of warranty for any other of the mods that make the dvd printing enabled?

thanks
I don't know. It's a service mode setting which can be changed back, and i'd have to double check to see if you can clear the number of CDs printed, or clear the whole thing. I doubt anyone would notice so long as you kept the front cover that blocks the tray. But I doubt that a service center would deny a warranty claim that pays them 1.5 hrs of labor to do something trivial on your printer, unless canon instructs them they won't pay for this.

I do know one user here claimed he got warranty service on his import mp780 (or was it mp750) because it didn't print on CDs out of the box. If you actually want warranty service, that's your best bet.

Edit: It's not uncommon for Asian imports to offer global warranty service. It is more uncommon for American products to honor warranties for things they sold overseas. I noticed this when shopping for a laptop for someone who lived in Mexico... Acer and others all required that foreign laptops be serviced in Mexico City, right where that person lived. HP required all laptops be serviced at service centers in the country they were sold.

Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1198

Ok, so im most likely going to buy a tray here in Australia and bring it home and mod a north american version. One last question, does a Mod'd NA version work jsut liek the Euro ones?

And the mod'd us versions still work without the roller assembly? is thisa waste of time and money buying this other part to go with the tray? Is it easily installed?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1199

Have any North Americans (US/Can) had any problems/trobules when trying to mod an IP4000? Any warnings or reccomendations?

Also, I am considering bringing back some exra dvd trays but I have not decided for sure on this one.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:08 PM   #1200

coolio wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so im most likely going to buy a tray here in Australia and bring it home and mod a north american version. One last question, does a Mod'd NA version work jsut liek the Euro ones?

And the mod'd us versions still work without the roller assembly? is thisa waste of time and money buying this other part to go with the tray? Is it easily installed?

Thanks
They work just fine without the roller assembly. Worst case scenero is you might have to push on the tray with your thumb when it sucks the tray in... absolute worst case senero... and I'm one of the few who has that issue on the ip3000. Best case scenero is it will suck up the tray without you having to touch it. But if you are able to buy the roller assembly it comes attached to the pull down door where the rollers can easily be removed and placed on the N.American version. Painless and easy, clips out clips in, no problem and your stuck with an extra piece of plastic you don't need.

The only "issue" i'm aware of is the CD-label-print software is no longer available for download from here. but is Available for download from here.
Get your copy now. Surething for example doesn't directly support canon but there is a 3rd party template you can ask support about. http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html is another solution as well.